Jomuna

0121 764 5577

Jomuna Birmingham Reviews

ladysamdq ladysamdq
Sep 08, 2007
Ian and I have been going to Jomuna since Boxing Day 2007 (our first proper meal out as a couple - bless!) and, having been there again last night and had a fab meal, I've just gotta shout about it!

It's an Indian restaurant in Acocks Green, on the outskirts of Birmingham (note: there's a train station nearby, plus the 37 Bus runs to and from the City Centre, stopping very close to Jomuna). It offers a wide and varied selection of Indian dishes - from jalfrezi and balti to bhuna and pakora - plus a small selection of English dishes, such as scampi and omelettes.

The staff are very friendly and polite, and are more than happy to help with any questions you might have - from what's in a dish to how to pronounce it! The restaurant itself is very clean, and service is never a problem.

Once you've ordered your meal, you're brought 2 poppadums each with a selection of mint and yogurt dip, mango chutney, onion salad and lime pickle (VERY spicy!). Sounds simple, but it's what dreams are made of. Then comes the starters!

I usually have chicken tikka pakora, "diced spring chicken marinated in spiced yogurt sauce cooked in tandoori then cooked in ground flour batter and deep fried" (according to the menu!). It tastes just divine, and comes with a small helping of salad. Last night Ian had a machli kebab ("fish marinated in yogurt with delicious herbs and spices, cooked in tandoori"). Rather than the skewered pieces of fish I had envisioned, he was served with 2 hearty pieces of beautifully cooked and tasty fish, with fried onions, on a sizzling hot pan brought to the table, accompanied with mint and yogurt dip and onion salad.

I opted for chicken tikka masala for my main course, and wasn't disappointed when it arrived. It was a beautiful and intense red, very creamy and mild; the chicken was cooked to perfection and I had no problems with finishing it! Rather than rice (which you order separately), I chose a peshwari naan bread to go with it. It's slightly sweet and at Jomuna they serve it glazed with melted butter - you put on weight just looking at it, but it really compliments a meal and is definitely worth having. Ian went for a peshwari with his chicken tikka dengali ("diced boneless chicken cooked in a mild sauce with cashew nuts, sultanas, almonds, pistachio nuts, garnished with banana") as well as special pilau rice. The dangali, despite its slightly odd appearance with sliced banana on it (!), was very good and fairly sweet.

They do have a dessert menu, but unless you haven't eaten for a month you won't need it - it's often a struggle to finish the main course! If you've got a normal appetite, I'd recommend EITHER a naan bread or rice with your main - Ian usually goes for both and to this day I don't know how he manages it. You also get given hot towels at the end of the meal to wipe your fingers with.

The bill for 2 came to £26.00 (we had just water to drink). You leave most definitely well-fed, and we've never had any problems at all in the months we've been going there. The restaurant has a dish to suit every taste, and you only have to ask your waiter to request a dish to be made exactly how you like it, whether you want to spice it up or cool it down!

It might also be worth mentioning that they do a free gift voucher with their takeaway and home delivery service. If your order is £50 or more (and believe me, it's very easy to spend that!), you receive a £10 voucher to use when you eat at the restaurant.

I can't recommend Jomuna enough!

Check Birmingham Hotel Deals