John's Grill

John's Grill - That attractive sign

John's Grill San Francisco Reviews

austin37335 austin37…
Great food and a restaurant with a story Oct 05, 2010
We almost stumbled on this place while searching for eats in San Francisco. We were initially attracted by the fabulous neon sign which we spotted as we walked up Powell Street off which Ellis Street sits. I was looking for a great steak on my last night in Frisco and one look at the menu outside confirmed that this would be the place to get it.

Walking through the door, the restaurant had an old steakhouse feel to it with lots of wood and photographs around the walls. It turned out that these photos were of famous patrons who had visited the restaurant over the years. These many famous patrons included Alfred Hitchcock, Gerald Ford, Ronald Regan, Shirley Temple, Renee Zellweger, Johnny Depp, Marlon Brando, Hilary Clinton and many many more!

There is more history to this restaurant too as it turned out that John's Grill was used as the setting in Dashiell Hammett's 'The Maltese Falcon' and a plaque sits proudly on the wall to this effect.

Although there are three floors, we were seated at a table on the ground floor and I ordered a 'filet mignon' steak served 'medium' and it was perfectly cooked when it arrived, while Julie went for the Seabass which she said was just as good. At $42 and $34 respectively this isn't a budget joint but the quality of the food and that special ambience meant it was worth it. If value for money means enjoying the meal and then remembering the occasion long after then this place represents very good value.

John's is a memorable restaurant and not just for the fine food. Maybe my judgement has been clouded by this being a special night for me being our last night in San Francisco, but maybe the impressive list of celebrity patrons confirms that this place is something a little special. That's why I've given John's a 'highly recommended'.
That attractive sign