Johnny's Cafe

(402) 731-4774

Johnny's Cafe Omaha Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
A Steakhouse in the Stockyard District Aug 03, 2013
Johnny's Cafe is regarded as a fixture in Omaha. It's been serving steaks in the former Stockyards district since 1922. (Two interpretive characters at the Durham Museum agree they will meet at Johnny's after the War.) Well, we had to check this out!

Johnny's has been remodeled, but it has a 1960s retro atmosphere and decor. Red leatherette chairs and banquettes with diml lighting and all that. In the waiting area is a display of menus going back in time. (The same steak dinner I ordered was available in the 1950s.)

I ordered the Native Filet Mignon. It was a very nice 9 oz portion, tender and lean. However, here was something curious. It did not have a great deal of intrinsic flavor. Instead, the waiter brought Johnny's house steak sauce. (He also asked if another steak sauce was preferred.) Usually, a steakhouse would take offense at a guest wanting to add a steak sauce! Perhaps that is a traditional way of eating a steak in Omaha. You expect to add sauce for flavor.

The filet mignon was accompanied by a baked potato and onion rings. Susan ordered Fried Shrimp, but found them average. The dinners also included a House Salad.

We had a surprise at this restaurant, too, Because it was the first Saturday of the month, the waiter brought a Foie Gras appetizer for the table to go with the bread. I take it Johnny's serves something different like that each weekend.

I'm glad I tried Johnny;s, but it was not the best steak I have had. I'd like to try other Omaha steakhouses next time.
Johnny's Cafe steakhouse
Johnny's Cafe interior
Native Filet Mignon
cimtech says:
Andrew, good review! Never been to Omaha so need to try Native once, but until now Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn remains on the top.
Posted on: Sep 06, 2013
rsvpme says:
Obviously,. you were not the first person who noted lack of taste.....
Posted on: Sep 06, 2013
Zagnut66 says:
I first learned about steak sauce being a faux pas in nicer establishments at a steak house in Honolulu. They brought the steaks out drenched in sauce and a member of our party complained to the manager. Good review!
Posted on: Sep 05, 2013