John Dory's Fish and Grill

Shop L8, Durban, South Africa

John Dory's Fish and Grill Durban Reviews

rsummo rsummo
Decent Chain Restaurant in South Africa Jun 12, 2010
John Dory's is a chain restaurant that has at 20 or so locations in South Africa. I've seen 3 so far, and I've eaten at the one inside the Suncoast Casino in Durban. If you have eaten extensively in the states, I'd say JD's is comparable to Red Lobster but with more of a TGIF's atmosphere. I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants in the states, but I am always curious about how the chains fair in other countries.

The Suncoast is a decent location, especially during the World Cup, but it does not have any outside or terrace seating, and when I'm in a place with weather as nice as Durban's, I prefer to sit outside. The Suncoast location is towards the middle of the food court on the first floor, so you can do a lot of people watching while you have your meal.

The food at JD's is decent. I had the fish and chips, and I wasn't wow'd but neither was I disappointed. The menu includes lots of seafood items, and I will probably go back at some point to try one of their combo plates, which should end up being a good deal if they taste as good as they look. The prices are reasonable. I think I paid about $6 USD for the entree, which may be just a little on the high side for fish and chips in Durban, but the portions were large and the quality was good. Service was quick and polite.

There are so many restaurants in Durban that I want to try, that I'm not sure that I will go back to John Dory's more than once. It is a solid dependable meal, and some of their promotions are quite good, but in a city with so much variety, I can't say it stood out enough to make me a regular.

Check Durban Hotel Deals