John Day Fossil Beds National Monument

Mitchell, Oregon

John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Mitchell Reviews

NickelP NickelP
The Painted Hills Oct 19, 2014
The Painted Hills for 1 part of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. The different colours correspond to different geological areas.

Coming around the corner and seeing the first little one is a total wow moment and then when you come to the main area it is quite breathtaking. We were told that the colours can change slightly before, during and after a rain.

You can't walk on the hills but there is another section that has a pathway so you can walk in between some of the smaller ones. There are other hiking trails but we were unable due to my travel partners foot issues.

There was also a pile of leaf fossils to check out.

While I normally don't mind my cell phone for photos, this was defintely one of those places where I really wished I had a good camera as the photos from my cell phone simply don't do it justice.
NickelP says:
It is beautiful. There is a mountain in Peru like this as well.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2017
EmyG says:
My kind of place
Posted on: Feb 05, 2017
camwilde camwilde
John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Mar 10, 2013
John Day Fossil Beds consists of three distinct units:

1) Sheep Rock - This unit has 2 main areas of interest: The Thomas Condon Paleontology Center which is basically a museum of the fossils found in the monument, and a variety of trails. We went on the Island in Time trail which was a short one mile hike with fossils under plastic to protect them.

2) Painted Hills - This unit features trail around some hills that look literally like they have been painted in yellow, black and red. They are very picturesque and worth the visit.

3) Clarno - This unit features palisades with a couple of trails winding through them. We did all three trails: the Geologic Time Trail, the Trail of the Fossils and the Clarno Arch Trail (all 1/4 mile trails).

This is a great park to spend a day or two learning about the geology and ancient life of Eastern Oregon.
John Day Fossil Beds
Thomas Condon Paleontology Center …
Thomas Condon Paleontology Center …
Sheep Rock