Joe Pena's Cantina y Bar

18 Robert-Mayer-Straße, Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Joe Pena's Cantina y Bar Frankfurt am Main Reviews

dahling dahling
Mexican food done German style... Jun 15, 2008
Joe Pena's is a typical mexican restaurant, in a way that a German would like to have it. Kinda like the chinese adapt their food over here, so it fits the european taste buds. To me it is very average. The food is good, for what it is, but nothing that I would consider even close to "real" mexican. Also the price is average - to me three burrito's with a little side dish of rice and salad for € 13,- is very expensive - but in Germany, that is average for mexican cuisine.

We decided to try out the restaurant for we had one of those buy 1 - get 1 free coupon deals. Unfortunately, Joe Pena's decides WHAT you have to get. In this case it was the enchiladas. Good, I think to myself. I like enchiladas. And my head forms this picture of corn tortillas rolled up and filled with cheese and turkey ... smothering in enchilada sauce.

I order a starters plate so we can try some of the other things as well and I do like the things on it. A small piece of corn, a taquito, some nachos, guacamole, sour cream, different dips, small piece of quesadilla - all very taste - the plate was €8,00.

And then our dinner arrived. It looked good - but.. okay, it was three wheat tortilla's and the only enchilada sauce was a spoonful (if that much) on top of it, with melted cheese also, very little melted cheese. I would have not consider this an enchilada at all.... but the taste was good, just not what I expected. I like a lot of sauce and that's why I usually do eat enchiladas. But, I assume that the mexican cuisine is also very regional, like in all other countries and maybe this is what they call an enchilada. So, I am very disappointed. I can make "those" enchiladas easily by myself, but it is a little harder to find corn enchiladas over here.

The restaurant itself was nicely set up, but not something I would enjoy going to. It is a wide open room with wooden tables and chairs and and it is very, very, very dark. I prefer to see what I eat. If it is dark outside it is okay, to get the bar atmosphere, but they close out the light. Great place to pick up somebody, it surely hides every wrinkle one might have. Also, because of the high ceilings it is very loud and being one of the "in" spots does not help matters. the group on the table close to ours made it impossible to have a conversation, must have been too much Tequila. So, if you want to enjoy a nice dinner, do not go there during Happy Hour.

I wanted to use the coupon for my cocktail, but the waitress said, this is only to use at the bar. Well, this will be one coupon more in the garbage bin, because this is one mexican place, I will not go to again.

I mean, the food was okay, the staff was nice, but to me - for this kinda money - I can eat better in a nicer, quieter atmosphere. BUT, they do have the soccer match on TV - another thing that brought the noise level up high and kept our waiters eyes clued more on the TV then the customers.

Check Frankfurt am Main Hotel Deals