Jitlada Restaurant

www.jitladala.com - (323) 663-3104

Jitlada Restaurant Los Angeles Reviews

TRE69 TRE69
Forget Pad Thai...Taste Southern Thai Cuisine Feb 15, 2009
Jitlada Restaurant is a hidden gem tucked away in the corner of a strip mall on Sunset Blvd in LA's Thai Town.

Although I am not a huge fan of Thai food, I decided to tag along because Karin raved about Jitlada's mussels...and I love seafood.

First of all parking for Jitlada is problematic because of the small, very small strip mall parking lot. To by pass getting blocking in at the lot, park along Sunset Blvd or the neighboring side streets and walk to Jitlada. Be sure to mind the parking signs.

Jitlada is definitely a mom and pop joint with partially wood paneled walls and wooden chairs that could match your grand parents' dining room set. However old-fashioned the dining area looks, it still feels comforting, warm, and just like home!

The menu is HUGE! There are over 100 items on the menu...AND that's not including the Southern Thai menu, which Jitlada is know for and which adds another 100 or so dishes! With so many choices, making a decision seems like a daunting task but there is definitely something for even the pickiest of eaters.

We decided to have a family style meal so we each picked a dish from the menu to share.

We ordered...

Coco Mango Salad that was composed of julienned green mango, shrimp, toasted coconut, and cashews. I tried a bite of the salad even though I strongly dislike coconut. The green mango and cashews gave the salad a great crunch while the shrimp was perfectly cooked and tender.

The Steamed Mussels dish were New Zealand green mussels cooked in a lemon grass and basil broth and served to the table in a pot over an open flame. The mussels were tender and very meaty. The rich brown broth was very flavorful and salty with a slight hint of spicy heat. If you like extra spice a green chili sauce is served on the side.

Ranong Lamb is listed on the Southern Thai menu and consisted of egg noodles, lamb, bean sprouts, and ground peanuts in a spicy lime sauce. I don't eat a lot of lamb but the lamb in this noodle dish was well cooked and tender. The spicy lime sauce was a bit too spicy for me but it had a pleasing tangy flavor. The noodles were a bit too soft in texture though.

Another Southern Thai dish we ordered was Plaa Thawt Mamuang...deep fried sea bass smothered with a spicy sweet chili mango sauce. The fried fish was crispy, crunchy and meaty. The sweet chili mango sauce cut through the oiliness of the fried fish. Listed as Market Price on the menu, this was the most expensive dish at roughly $30. But it was oh so yummy!

My favorite dishes of the meal were the mussels and the sea bass. Even though I am not a huge fan of Thai food, I would definitely return to Jitlada for the steamed mussels and

Plaa Thawt Mamuang.
vulindlela says:
Congrats!!!
Posted on: Apr 15, 2010
jenn79 says:
omg this got featured!! girl you better take down those pics of me. YUCK!
Posted on: Apr 14, 2010
hirondellenhi says:
haven't check tb forever and when I do, it's Tracy feature!!!! yay!!! make me craving for some good hot steaming mussels!!!
Posted on: Apr 14, 2010