Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve

Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve Reviews

groovypoo groovypoo
Visiting the Tiger Reserve Jun 11, 2011
My advice is.... book it through an agent before you go! As a foreigner, booking this at the central booking office in Ramnagar was a complete nightmare. Luckily me and my friend were in good spirits and laughed at most of the things that happened but it could really test your patience.

The prices for everything are all quoted seperately, e.g. tax for vehicle, cost of driver, cost of permits, cost of accommodation, cost of jeep, cost of guide. They will also try to add on various other costs including drivers food, petrol, camping for the vehicle etc etc so be aware! Our driver Imran was brilliant and yet still tried to get more money out of us. Despite this, I would still recommend him!

We went to Bijrani as we heard there had been a few tigers spotted here recently. Imran was very good at spotting the wildlife including rare birds and the rarely seen tiger!! We were lucky to see the tiger. We spent two days in the budget accommodation and were only one of two jeeps to see the tiger. So be warned that its not guaranteed, its luck and I would def say to consider the driver. One driver was driving around so fast that he scared the tiger Imran had found and it ended up rearing up to the vehicle and roaring. Although this was amazing to see, it kind of ruined our experience as the tiger then went and hid further in the foliage.

All in all, when we added up all the costs of the food, accom, safari's, permits etc etc, it wouldn't have worked out much more expensive to go through the agents and it certainly would have taken away the hassle. On the up side, me and my friend had our own private jeep and weren't squashed into a van with lots of other people!

Worth doing but just beware of the extra costs and if you go to the office to book yourself, look for Imran and be VERY patient.... The office also doesn't open at 8 as people might tell you! Its supposed to open at 9 but as with most government places in India, you will be lucky if they come before 10am!!!
India Map