Jewel Hotel

Corner Of University Avenue & Kabar Aye Pagoda Road, Yangon, Myanmar
N/A - +95 (0)1 549345
Jewel Hotel - Me at the wedding venue. Note the intricate architecture.
Jewel Hotel - Me with the happy couple at their wedding. The groom works at the Jewel Hotel and I didn't know him before. But he invited me to his wedding and of course I went!
Jewel Hotel - The pretty staff of the Jewel Hotel
Jewel Hotel - Another view of my hotel room
Jewel Hotel - Attached bathroom
Jewel Hotel - My room at the Jewel Hotel

Check Yangon Hotel Deals

Jewel Hotel Yangon Reviews

Cho Cho
Budget hotel Jan 31, 2013
I stayed at this hotel twice in the 1990's, but switched to the Yuzana Hotel in the 2000's. But in 2011, I stayed there again as the Yuzana was full. When I arrived at the Jewel Hotel I noticed that they were expanding the front of the hotel and the main entrance was obscured from all the construction work. I had to enter through the side door. I got a room on the second floor for $15 a night with breakfast included. I had not made reservations, so I thought $15/night was not a bad deal for a walk in rate. However, I am certain the rates have increased considerably since then due to the current huge influx of tourists. In 2011 there were still some rooms available. Even with the extension and additional rooms it might be full nowadays, especially during the high season.

The location is about 20 minutes drive from downtown in a quiet residential area. In fact, the Lady's (Aung San Suu Kyi) house is very close by, so you might want to pay her a visit! There is a restaurant next door but I don't recommend it. If you want to walk another 5 minutes or so down Kabar Aye Road, I would recommend Fu San restaurant which also has a Chinese temple.

If you fancy a hot beverage you might want to try some of the typical tea shops along the street (turn left as you leave the hotel) and experience a place where many of the locals socialize with their friends over a cup of tea. Be warned though that seating at these tea shops are stools, not regular chairs!

Further down the same street there is a beer pub, and if you need to buy groceries there is a big supermarket on Saya San Road called City Mart where everything is available, both local and imported stuff. This supermarket is about 15 minutes walk from the hotel.

All the rooms at the Jewel Hotel are air conditioned and there is hot water in the attached bathroom. TV with about 10 different channels and a mini refrigerator too. All the times I stayed there I had a room with twin beds, so I imagine all the rooms are the same, small but fairly comfortable.

PS. The staff at this hotel are friendly too. The guy at the front desk got married during my stay there and he actually invited me to his wedding, and of course I accepted his invitation! (photos of the wedding added)
My room at the Jewel Hotel
Attached bathroom
Another view of my hotel room
The pretty staff of the Jewel Hotel