11 Sint-Widostraat, Ghent, Belgium

Check Ghent Hotel Deals

Jeugdherberg Ghent Reviews

tombom07 tombom07
Ghent hostel in an excellent location with good breakfast! Jan 08, 2013
I stayed at 'De Draecke' Hostel for three fun nights in January.

I found the red haired girl on reception to be very nice & helpful when I arrived & throughout my stay. She gave me some cool tips on places to eat - & a map: essential!

The rooms, toilets & hostel in general felt clean & well maintained. The showers were hot with good water pressure. The dorms were big & spacious (no lockers) with comfortable beds but really flat pillows. Maybe it's just me being picky but I can't sleep with a flat pillow!

The hostel itself was secure, very big & spacious with a lounge & bar area that does cheap beer! It also serves a very generous free breakfast in the cantine on the other side of the entrance hall in the morning. It included the usual continental stuff like breads, cereal, juice, tea & coffee, with extras such as eggs, meat & fruit. Perhaps they were such good spreads due to the party of 50 plus school kids (11-18) who were staying there touring as an orchestra. If the hostel was quieter it could have been a different story.

There is free wifi & a couple of computers that can be used for a fee.

The hostel is supposedly a youth hostel although I didn't realise this prior to arriving. A friend that I made at the hostel felt slightly annoyed that three of our dorm mates throughout our stay were clearly above the age of staying at a 'youth hostel' (in their 50s/60s). It didn't bother me personally, but he did make a valid point.

I would definitely stay there again. It was around 20 euros per night for a 6/8-bed dorm, which is average for Europe but perhaps slightly high around the low season. The fact that breakfast is included was a bonus - they do put on a great spread!

On top of that, (besides having trouble finding it) it is in a fantastic location, which is right behind the Gravensteen castle & well-located to see all the major sites in the city, although you would need to take a tram to get to the train station.
Bar & reception area of De Draecke…

Check Ghent Hotel Deals