Jeju Island (17-20 Feb 07)

837-20 Ildo 2(i)-dong

Jeju Island (17-20 Feb 07) Reviews

Arlenelow Arlenelow
Beautiful Jeju Island, South Korea Jun 23, 2008
During the Chinese New Year holidays (17-19 Feb 07)in Korea, I managed to get a seat on the domestic flight to Jeju island, though my colleagues told me the flights were fully booked months in advance.

Being Chinese New Year and it was still cold, there were not many tourists as expected. I heard it was a favourite destination for honeymooners in 1980s-1990s before Koreans have decided it was cheaper to go elsewhere (Bangkok, Hong Kong, etc). Yes, I do find it expensive - just like other places in Korea. One night in a simple guesthouse near Seowigpo seaside set me back by US$20-30.

Jeju is a paradise for raw seafood lovers ! I paid US$20 for a plate of raw fish. Because of the fertile soil on Jeju island (after all it is formed from the overflow residues of volcano), the tangerine oranges are indeed very sweet. Tangerine trees are commonly found, even on road sides !

The highest mountain of South Korea - Mt Hallasan (1,900m, if I remember correctly), is found on Jeju Island. My highlight of this trip was to trek up Mt Hallasan. I was pleasantly surprised to see snow near the peak, even though it was spring. So many trekkers were queueing to buy instant noodles (filled with hot water) and hot steaming coffee, even though they brought water !

Jeju island is endowed with natural beauty like Jungmum columnar rock formations. It reminded me of the 12 Apostles in Melbourne. The sunset rays further highlight the beauty of nature. I stayed on to admire the sunset by the coastline.

Even though Jeju island is a tourist destination, few Koreans can speak basic English. With a map, I had to point the location to the bus driver. Fortunately, the bus drivers are nice and friendly to point me to the right bus stop, using hands !

I recommended to my colleague (Indian with his wife and daughter) to visit this island, who is interested in nature and cultures. They even went diving, as it was summer, when they went.
at 1,700m of Mt Hallasan on Jeju I…
Dragon Head Rock