29 Franz-Josefs-Kai, Vienna, Austria

Jazzland Vienna Reviews

Kramerdude Kramerdu…
May 19, 2006
Vienna, Austria: Mozart, the Staatsoper, Classical Music, Jazz?

Yep, jazz. I wasn't really primed to sit through an opera even though I was in Vienna, but someone recommended that I check out Jazzland for some music.

Jazzland is located right along the Ringstrasse and across from the Danube Canal. It's located in a 500 year old cellar of an old building in the Inner City. A little difficult to find, but the sign out front will guide you to the door leading down into the cellar.

Being Vienna's main jazz club, Jazzland has attracted all wonders of worldwide talent to the shows over the years. I saw The Original Storyville Jazzband the night I was there and it was great little show. The crowd was a bit older, but it was a great mellow atmosphere and some fantastic music that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Cover charge was about €10 the night I was there and the website claims it now runs €11-18 depending on the act. They also have menu items running up to €10. Nothing fancy, but satisfying for someone who had been walking most of the day. The website link is in German, but there are links to an English version of many of the pages as well. Check it out for more details such as who's playing, a menu, history, and photographs.

Highly recommended to any jazz afficiando, and anyone who is in Vienna long enough that they get tired of the opera.
Entrance to Jazzland