Jalan Malioboro, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Jalan Malioboro Yogyakarta Reviews
Street with Lots of Vendors Dec 26, 2008
It can be said that you haven't been to Yogyakarta if you havent't been to Jalan Malioboro or Malioboro Street. The street was very crowded when I visited it because it was on school holidays. But, I'm sure it won't be different at other time.
You can find many souvenirs, batik cloths and bags, T-shirts and other things here. The price is not expensive. But, you have to bargain since the vendors offer higher price at the beginning.
This is my trick in bargaining:
- start the bargain with 30% of the offerred price
- usually the vendor offers the lower price
- stay with your price
- if the vendor doesn't agree, just walk away
- usually the vendor will call you and mention a new lower price
- keep walk away
- the vendor will call you if he/she agrees at last or he/she lets you go if he/she still doesn't agree
- if you really want the merchandise, you may buy it
- or find the same thing at other vendors, but now you have known the real price
If you don't want to be bothered by bargaining, you can just go to the shops that have fixed price.
If you want to go to Keraton from the street, better take becak (pedicab) than andong (buggy). Andong is expensive.
Happy shopping at Malioboro Street ;-)
Part of the Family Trip to Yogyakarta travel blog
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!