JUMBO Seafood

20 Upper Circular Road #B1-46/47/48

JUMBO Seafood Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
The Big Name in Seafood Sep 12, 2010
Being in Singapore I wanted to try the black pepper crab they are so famous for. But where should we eat it? I had read about the JUMBO Seafood and since one of their outlets was located at Clarke Quay, near my hotel that´s where we went.

The Jumbo Seafood restaurant is a Chinese restaurant chain, which is famous in Singapore for its great seafood. They have seven outlets throughout the city. Cécile and I went to the Jumbo Seafood Gallery at the Riverwalk (Clarke Quay). It´s situated along the Singapore River, just minutes away from Clarke Quay MRT station.

Their specialties are chilli and pepper crab, but they also serve lamb chops, roasted duck, fresh oysters and BBQ king prawns, BBQ red tilapia, satay and otah. Something for everyone! There are several aquariums in the restaurant, so you can watch when they catch your dinner.

As we arrived we did not feel particularly welcome. Most of the tables were set for bigger groups then two, so we were "stowed away" in a corner. We were given menus, but were not given any time to look at it. Our waitress was hanging over my shoulder, tapping her pen on the table and pushing us to order. She was actually very rude.

After we had ordered, peanuts, a pot of green tea and a bowl of water were served. Since everybody seemed to have got it we thought it was complimentary. Being a Chinese restaurant I should have know better.

We had ordered black pepper crab, scallops wrapped in Yam Ring and vegetables. The food was served without any delay. The black pepper crab was to die for. Have never eaten such tasty crab ever. The scallops were fantastic as well. Don´t know how they had prepared them, but they melted in my mouth.

Half through the meal, by then we had gotten really messy eating the crab with our fingers, we were told to pay. Lunch closed at 3 pm. It was only 2.20 pm so what was the rush. Our rude waitress said that it could not wait, so we had to clean up only to pay and then get dirty again.

Even though the food was great, the service was horrible and the atmosphere not very friendly. The staff was too eager to get people out of the restaurant before 3 pm. Later I could see why. When we left it was close to 3 pm and all the staff was having lunch in the restaurant.

The next day I stopped by the Jumbo Seafood at Riverside Point for a snack. Thought I would put up with the bad service for the great food. Glad I did, because this was a totally different experience. Staff was polite and the atmosphere was good.

On my short stopover in Singapore a week later I stayed in Changi Village by the airport. I met up with Cécile again and we went to Jumbo Seafood @ SAFRA resort. This location lacked the atmosphere (due to the location), but had great food and very nice service.

Conclusion: JUMBO Seafood Restaurants have the great seafood they are famous for, just avoid the Riverwalk outlet. I would recommend the Riverside Point outlet (Clarke Quay). The food deserve 5 stars, but they loose on service.
Black Pepper Crab
Kang Kong (morning glory)
Scallops wrapped in Yam Ring

Hotel Pacific Tokyo, Front Garden,
3-13-3 Takanawa, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Tel: 81 3-5449-8080 Fax: 81 3-5449-1333
Open Everyday: 11.00am - 11.00pm

The Singapore Seafood Republic (Ginza)
Tokyo, Chuo-Ku, Ginza 2-2-14
Marronier Gate, 11 F
Tel: (81)-3-5524-7615
Opening daily from 11:00am – 11:00pm
reikunboy says:
Sarah the food looks great, where are the outlets in Japan?
sarahsan says:
I see your point Keith, but I still think that you shouldn´t have to pay people to be polite to you. That is part of their job!
JUMBO Seafood Map