J Resorts Alidhoo

J Resorts Alidhoo Rates and Deals

J Resorts Alidhoo Haa Alif Atoll Reviews

ladybirdseahorse ladybird…
Very tired island, new management hopeless Mar 27, 2011
We only went here because we got a cheap deal, and believe me we got what we paid for! We have been to the Maldives 3 times previously and feel that I can make the comparisons between the islands and would definately say this is the worst of the 4. (Others we have visited are Filithyo, Vilamenhdoo & Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu).

I will try to write an unbiased review, despite our problem (more about which later!).

The general feeling on this island is of one that is uncared for, it is in a very poor state of dis-repair, gardens are very overgrown, weeds everywhere etc., with little sign of anyone doing anything about it. Rooms all look a bit shabby and although there are new owners now, I think it will take some time before things improve. I would suggest you leave it a year or so before visiting!

The football pitch, badminton court & volleyball court were completely unusable due to being overgrown and in a state of dis-repair.

The rubbish that is left or washed up on the beaches is not collected and this is left to the guests to collect and leave in piles in the hope that someone would clear it away - not the case, it would lay in piles for several days! The walkways to the water villas had bits of wood hanging off and were left this way for the entire duration of our stay.

There is very poor signage around the island which made it difficult to negotiate ones way to the public areas. (I have a good sense of direction, but paths on this island are very confusing and don't go where you think they will!)

The lighting is very poor and whilst one does not want bright lights, a few more subtle lights would help to illuminate the pathways.

When we arrived the swimming pool was out of action and continued to be so for 5 days. They then declared that it was open again, but as my husband looks after swimming pools as part of his profession, he said that it was still unfit for use and would be for at least another 24 hours. (There then followed a spate of guests with ear infections on the island, which the resident (so called DIVE SPECIALIST) doctor could not deal with and sent at least one family to hospital to be checked).

We stayed in a Water Villa, and on arrival our jacuzzi had a filthy yellow rim around it - we called recetion and someone came to clean it immediately - not a big problem, just not what you expect to see on arrival. The water villas are not over a lagoon with the gentle sound of waves lapping, they are battered 24/7 by crashing waves. I have to say that I love the sea, so this did not bother me, but I could see why many guests asked to be moved to beach villas. Twice during our stay the wood of our deck was broken and lifted up in several places by the crashing waves, it was repaired, but only by nailing down the same peice of rotten wood to more rotten wood. Perhaps a better solution would be to replace the wood for new and screw it in place!

There were also several planks of wood that were lifted up around the edges and were a trip hazzard. The rope fence around the edge of the decking area was rotten and would break instantly if touched - very dangerous if one was relying on it as a barrier!

One thing that really spoilt the island for us was the live band followed by a disco EVERY NIGHT, in the bar area. This is very loud and makes it impossible to talk to each other. I did ask on several occasions for the music to be turned down, and received thanks from tables around us each time. As there is only one bar on the island it is inappropriate to have loud music every night and we would definately not have gone to this island had we known that, the Maldives is about relaxation, not loud music.

There is no al-a-Carte restaurant as advertised, however one could have a (very expensive) meal on the dancefloor next the the very loud band if one so desired! The hotel advertises this as romantic - as it is beside the swimming pool (in the bar area!)

For those of us who like the Maldives for it's bare foot approach, there was no foot bath at the entrance to the restaurant or bar (which have hard floors). We asked for the disused footbath at the entrance to the restaurant to be filled and it was, however as they did not leave a clean towel next to it, we had to walk with wet feet onto the wooden floor which then makes a slip hazzard for other guests. (The restaurant manager told us this was the reason they did not fill the footbath, however the simple addition of a towel next to it would aliviate this problem - there were already towels beside the door mats).

Many of the front of house staff have no clue about what they should be doing and when asked a question seem to make up the first thing that comes into their head, which upon further investigation turns out to be incorrect - I cannot give you names of individual staff members as they do not wear badges.

During our stay the room boy knocked my husbands Ipod off of it's docking staion and smashed it. The management told us at first that they would replace it or at least compensate us for the cost of it, they then messed us around for 4 days and eventually with told us that they would not accept liability for it as the room boy denied it (he even suggested that a wave had knocked it off it's docking station). We were very unhappy with this situation and feel that if they were not going to do anything they should have said so straight away and not strung us along 4 days.

On the positive side - food in village restaurnat was all great, plenty of choice even if you are fussy.

The house reef is not the best, but there is a good variety of fish and we even snorkelled with Mantas here. The currents were very strong when we were there (not sure what they are like at other times of year), so you have to be pretty confident in the water to go snorkelling here. But there are daily trips to a sand spit with a lagoon if you want calm water. Or you can go on an organised snorkell trip with the dive centre.

I made 11 dives with Meridis and they were a great dive company. If you want more info on the diving look at my review on scubaadviser.com I would definately recommend them, even if they are a bit pricey.

All in all we had a nice holiday, but it is definately not a 5* or even 4* hotel. There are much nicer places to stay in the Maldives for less money.

J Resorts Alidhoo Overview

With its central location, J Resorts Alidhoo is within easy reach of most tourist attractions and business addresses in Maldives. The J Resorts Alidhoo boasts a convenient location with modern amenities in every guestroom and superb service. Each guestroom is fully equipped with air conditioning, bathrobes, desk, hair dryer, internet access (wireless), ironing board, in room safe. This Maldives accommodation contains all of the facilities and conveniences you would expect from a hotel in its class. The hotel offers massage, indoor pool, jacuzzi, tennis courts, spa, water sports (non-motorized) to provide extra pleasure and relaxation for all guests. Modern comfort and convenience are seamlessly combined to ensure the guests' satisfaction. The hotel provides a warm and welcoming service of international standard. For your reservation at the J Resorts Alidhoo, simply submit your dates and complete our secure online booking form.

J Resorts Alidhoo Amenities

• Beach (Direct Access)
  • Water Activities
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower