Italica

Santiponce, Spain

Italica Santiponce Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Roman Ruins of Italica Oct 11, 2011
Italica is a large Roman Site in Santiponce, a small town a short bus ride from Seville. There are some stunningly preserved mosaic floors still in their original homes, an amphitheatre, a theatre, homes, and a bath system.

It is extremely interesting and atmospheric. Although I have seen impressive remains elsewhere, the fact that almost the whole town remains here makes it possible to imagine how people lived, and what a town was like, rather than an isolated villa. Seeing mosaics preserved in their original floors is very rare. The signs are informative, although only if you read Spanish, and as my Spanish is poor I am sure there are things I missed. There is another informative (and thankfully English too) display in the building as you enter the site.

An active archeological site, where you can see people working to preserve the mosaics, Italica has survived astonishingly well considering that it was looted for marble which was crushed into lime in the late middle ages, and blasted for road materials in the 19th century.

Entrance is free if you are from the EU, and a small charge if you are from outside it.

CHECK ENTRANCE TIMES WITH THE TOURIST OFFICE. I checked several websites that said it shut at 4.30pm on Sundays, when in fact it shut at 3pm - this meant we wasted time going out to see it and were very grumpy. Luckily we had enough time to try again later, but you should check carefully. Also, the website says to get the bus from the wrong bus station - the correct bus leaves from Plaza Del Armes.

Related Travel Blogs About Italica

Girls of Melbourne - Girls of Sevilla
Yes, I am still alive and well in Sevilla. It has been a crazy wonderful few weeks with trips, visits and lots of work!Where do I start?My first visit was from lovely Gill, a girlfriend from Melbourn…Italica (Santiponce). She also included artistic decoration from different periods: Sevillian baseboards of tiles from a convent in ruins, artworks…

Check Santiponce Hotel Deals