Italian Village Restaurants

Italian Village Restaurants - outside italian village

Italian Village Restaurants Chicago Reviews

xlavinho xlavinho
Thank you Lonely Planet travel guide! Nov 25, 2009
The restaurant is recommended in the Lonely Planet Chicago Encounter. A resident of Oslo, Norway, I've visited all the recommended restaurants in the Oslo Encounter, and I generally agree with Lonely Planet.

Italian Village is one of the best Italian restaurants outside Italy where I've had a pleasant dinner at a fair price. The environment is cozy, the waiters are nice and know their wine. As for the wine menu, there are plenty of choices!

We ordered four different pasta dishes, and were generally satisified. I've read some of the other reviews here at, and I disagree with them. When at a Italian restaurant, you don't order pork chops! I wouldn't order hamburgers at a China place....

The "Village" is a restaurant complex divided in to three different restaurants, at three different rates. We were at the top floor one, which was the "cheapest". The food was a bit late, but the portions were large and fresh cooked.

The toilets were a bit dirty, which gave me a bad first impression, but the food definitely gave me a much more positive all-over impression.

All in all, I would highly recommend this place (at least the top floor restaurant)!
tmagnani tmagnani
Decent Italian food in Chicago Sep 26, 2008
Now, I know that some people rave about this place, but to be completely honest, this place is Joe average. I would equate it to an upscale Olive Garden, except the food is pretty oily. I got ziti with meat sauce, and there was definitely globs of oil that I had to avoid while eating my meal. The plus side to this place is the atmosphere, which really does feel like a little Italian village inside. I believe it is actually 3 restaurants in one - upstairs/downstairs/main level. This review discusses my experience at the upstairs restaurant only. The service is friendly and attentive, just stick away from pastas or anything with olive oil, as it may be overdone with oil.
sybil sybil
Dec 26, 2007
Italian village gets props for being open on christmas eve (albeit only till 8:30 pm). outside of that, i probably would not go back.

this place is not really equipped for groups larger than 4. there were 5 of us and we were very crowded.

the calamari was hot, tender, lightly salted and battered. i enjoyed this one.

the minestrone soup was not thick enough.

my pork chop vesuvio was garlicky (a good thing) but overcooked (a bad thing).

the linguine con frutta di mare was bland. well, the pasta was soggy and bland. the seafood was acceptable.

our server seemed out of it. could be the holiday distractions or what not. but either way, we did not receive the service i expect from a decent restaurant. he came by to ask for drink orders. i ordered. then he left.... And did not ask everyone else on the table for their drink orders. i asked for olive oil and balsamic vinegar, he came back with the olive oil. the vinegar did not arrive until 15 minutes after the olive oil. 2 people ordered pork chops, only one got a decent knife.

i am sure there are other better restaurants to go to. this place might be a landmark, but a restaurant should be enjoyed for its food/drinks, not its longevity.
minestrone soup
center cut pork chop vesuvio
frutto di mare
mellemel8 says:
awwww i hate it when my pork chops are over cooked
Posted on: Dec 27, 2007
jenn79 says:
aww, that sounds like a pretty bad experience =(
Posted on: Dec 26, 2007