Istana Air Taman Sari

Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Istana Air Taman Sari Yogyakarta Reviews

yuness yuness
“King's bath place.” May 05, 2013
Taman Sari was built in the mid 18th century, circa 1700. British forces attacked Yogyakarta in the 1800s and destroyed most of the Castle and after an earthquake which drained the pools it fell into an unused state for many years. It was newly re-opened in the year 1970. After some renovation, all the buildings and cultures around here are mixed, Hindu, Buddhist Chinese and also European. So it’s no wonder if we will see the roof of the building such as a pagoda roofed building, or windows of European style (Dutch). And there is also the emblem at the gate entering into the bathhouse, which is influenced by Hindu culture.

The bathhouses (downstairs). On entering the bathhouse there are three baths. The most northern is the bathing place of the king's daughters, called Umbul Muncar. Where there is a dressing room for the daughters. also there is a bathing place the king's concubines, which is called Umbul Kuras, the water here will go through the head of the dragon into the bathhouse.

Next up is the king’s bathhouse. Where we have to enter through the tower gates, on the second the storey. The tower was used by the king to observe his daughters and mistresses when bathing. On the ground floor of the tower gate, when entered to the left is the locker or changing room. In which there are clothes lockers as well as a glass mirror, which looks like a flower pot filled with water and not at all ancient. And on the right we entered, there is a steam room, for king and elected concubines to here is a bed like shape with a few holes under the bed, which serves as a place of burning.

From the tower complex we stepped out, by walking down stairs, now we enter the area of the three baths, across from which we can see the original main front gate into the Taman Sari water gardens, this is now the back gate. Here is also a yard area that lead us to a show room of batik paintings. I look around a little and I’m amazed to see all the paintings and also from here we see the process of making leather puppets that are carved from the leather hide of buffalo.

Next we were guided by a building named ‘Gedong Carik’ on the way to see the Kitchens in the building named, ‘Gedong Madaran’, we see the clean kitchen for prepare of food and the dirty kitchen for the washing... Yes .. the days of yore, has distinguished between the clean kitchens and dirty kitchen. These kitchens functioned just as well as the kitchens of today.

We went Out of the King's bathing water castle area, my guide took me to the mosque that is located below ground, here I can see a lot of unique and interesting things. On the way to the mosque we stopped a short while at the batik painting show room again...then we finally get round to the underground Mosque, to enter we had to descend down the stairs at the bottom there is a large room that is the mosque and that has a dome roof ceiling. The Mosque here has two floors, the lower floor for female pilgrims, upstairs to the congregation of men, and one priest. Here there is a pool of water for ablutions with 5 steps that lead down to the pool, the five steps, signifying the five pillars of Islam, on the steps are nine numbered tile pieces in each of the five stairs, these signifies the number of Wali Songo (deceased priests) of JAVA. In addition, this Mosque is strong defense, for a place to hide, when the palace was in danger.

After we go around the underground mosque, we headed back to the water castle. Our guide said, once the whole of the palace was surrounded by water. The king kept his concubines quarantined like prisoners here, they could not escape because of all the surrounding water and I remember seeing from the top of the tower the city of Yogyakarta in the distance, such a long way for the concubines to go even if they got passed the water...Better they stay, I think.

I went down the stairs and then go into the basement, this is where the path was traversed by the princesses after they had taken their showers. Finally...out from the basement, I passed homes of today inhabitants, these were once part of this palace, and this is where I would come out of Heritage Park complex of Taman Sari.
monky says:
Congrats on your last featured review Yuyun!:D
rheagirl says:
Congrats Yuyun! :))
cotton_foam says:
See, told yah!! :D
Congrats!! Well deserving! Thank you for sharing!

Check Yogyakarta Hotel Deals