Israel Transportation Tips

Israel

Israel Transportation Tips Reviews

rmsmed87 rmsmed87
Tel Aviv to Jerusalem Jun 22, 2015
I just returned from Israel, and I was surprised at how simple the transportation system is. It is a small country anyway. The transportation system has signs in three languages so it is relatively to navigate.

Tel Aviv to J'lem has several options: Taxi, Shuttle, Bus or Train. I used the shuttle to get to J'lem and and Taxi to get back. I understand train is not a timely option, but they are building a direct ail from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, and it will be completed around the time of Jesus' return.

The shuttle or Nesher is a 10 pax van. Luckily, I was the last one in so no waiting. But, I was also the last one off so I got the free city tour.

I took the taxi back to the airport because the offered times on the Nesher were not good based on my departure. It is advised to be at the airport 3 hours prior to departure.

In Jerusalem, I used the light rail extensively. It is basically 2 lines, and tickets are 6 shekels. I did see a ticket monitor once, but that was it. I admit that I rode the light rail for free in the morning.

I also took the local bus 231 to Bethlehem. It will stop at the checkpoint so you get a look at the separation wall.

The checkpoint is relatively useless. You can catch a cab to Nativity Square for about 25 shekels.

Finally, you can bargain a cab driver if you want to go to the Dead Sea,Mt of Olives, or Masada saving money on a packaged tour. We took a cab to Mt of Olives, and we were able to see the sights at our own pace.
Israel Map