Island Hopping in Langkawi

Langkawi, Malaysia

Island Hopping in Langkawi Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Island Hopping in Langkawi Feb 26, 2012
We took a cab from our hotel to the jetty area which is known for island hopping. I cant remember the road name but its facing Awana Porto Malai Langkawi resort (across the sea). The boat ride costs RM50 per adult and RM30 for children.

The boat ride is supposed to last about 3 to 3.5 hours. Its best to start early in the day as it could be quite hot in the afternoon. Each boat can fit about 10 people.

There is a guide on board the boat to give us a guide of the entire route. There are 4 highlights of this boat ride.

1) Pulau Singa Besar (Big Lion Island) - the island with rock formations resembling a lion. The boat just stop in the middle of the sea for a view of the island from a distance.

2) Eagle watch - the boat will just stop in the middle of the sea for us to observe the many eagles that fly around the skies or into the water to catch their meal in this particular area

3) Pulau Dayang Bunting (Island of the Pregnant Maiden) - the boat stops here for about 30 to 40 minutes for us to get off and explore the island. From a distance, this island resembles the shape of a pregnant lady lying down on her back. There is a signboard explaining the history of this island. There is a lot of varying legends about this island which is believed to be mystical in the asian community particularly Malay community..

We will have to walk up a hill and then down the hill in order to reach Tasik Dayang Bunting (Lake of the Pregnant Maiden). It is believed that the waters in the lake are "blessed" so if a woman who is child barren drinks the water from the lake - she will likely give birth. There is also an enclosed section of the lake which you can swim in. I would believe in this legend before I arrive (due to the many stories I was told and the movies I saw as a kid but now after seeing those fishes (looks like catfish) in the lake - definitely NO lol!

Be careful not to carry food in your hands while walking up & down the hill as there are a LOT of monkeys and they are vicious!

4) Pulau Beras Basah (Wet Rice Island) - the boat stops here the longest as this is the final stop before heading back. You can take a swim at the beach, ride the banana boat or just have a picnic. But - mine your food as there are monkeys on this island too and they are very quick in snatching your food away!

The boat will return to the jetty and they will sell you, your picture (they had taken earlier with or without you realising) already framed.

So I will definitely recommend this as part of your visit to langkawi. I think you can book online too these days but it costs more. They do private tour too (according to a middle eastern couple I spoke to at the hotel) - they were charged RM400 so that they can have the entire boat to themselve (I think they were clearly cheated!!)
My mom and nephew with me on the b…
The jetty for the boat ride

Check Langkawi Hotel Deals