Island Expeditions

Belize

Island Expeditions Reviews

lynhancock lynhanco…
Island Expeditions specializes in Belize - and it's easy to tell! Nov 15, 2009
I couldn't imagine 'doing' an organized trip in Belize with any other company than the three Canadian guys who run Island Expeditions. I have done several trips with them and as a result Belize has become my second home. Their enthusiasm is contagious.

Highlights?

Barrelling along a back road with my charming Belizean guide when he suddenly stops at his thatch-roofed, mud-walled home and proudly introduces me to his wife and kids and chickens.

Launching our inflatable kayaks over 4-16 foot high vertical drops in a jungle river and catapulting down waterfalls - 40 in three days.

Swimming and wriggling through the awesome Actun Tunichil Muknal cave to photograph 900 year old skeletons of women and children sacrificed to the Mayan rain god.

But my favourite place in Belize - some people say it is their favourite place on earth - is Half Moon Caye, Lighthouse Reef, snorkelling with your kayak in the clear emerald water or photographing the colourful boobies and frigate birds. Island Expeditions runs the only camp on Half Moon Caye.

As well as the trips they advertise in their brochures, IE uses its 24 plus years of experience and local contacts to arrange customized trips in Belize and neighbouring Guatemala. Denver arranged a super trip one year for myself and a few friends which included a tour of behind the scenes Belize City, a paddle on the Sibun River, an overnight stay at the Belize Zoo where we hugged a python (or rather the python hugged us),and a flight to Flores in Guatemala (where we were the only people on the small plane)and a stay in the home of Yolande, probably the first woman entrepreneur in that country. Yolande took us to Tikal and being an avid birder, we saw more than the monuments.

In the end it is the people who make the difference in how to see a foreign country and I'd recommend the people you meet at Island Expeditions if you want your trips to be memorable.
Catapulting down the Moho River, a…
You can always relax in a hammock …
Belize Map