Isla del Sol

Isla del Sol - terrace farming
Isla del Sol - Lake titicaca and some huts
Isla del Sol - A walk through town
Isla del Sol - Check out those ancient incan steps
Isla del Sol - Nice road!
Isla del Sol - The trail
Isla del Sol - Me being confused

Isla del Sol Copacabana Reviews

osgoodst osgoodst
Come for the hiking, dance with the stars Jul 19, 2008
The Isla del Sol is a welcome site from nearby Copacabana, which was filled with some very rude gringos who were running all the stands taking jobs away from locals. I visited the island on official business and the natives are a good bunch. Too live on the island you have to fill out an application, so there wasn't any riff-raff causing any trouble.

Everything on the island is ran by a group of about 1,000 bolivians who use green technologies to power the island, its a good thing.

Transportation: If you want to get to the island in style, you can rent a reed boat with a driver for about 25 USD. I did this option since I was lugging around a bunch of crap. These boats are the best way because they are faster, emit no pollution, and were the mode of transport for the incas, and were rumored to be the ride for incan travelers to asia.

Your other option is a huge boat that is cheap (2 US dollars) but is slow and unsexy.

So what do you do on the island? There are 3 things:

You can see some ruins, that well.... are ruins, you know your basic 500 year old pile of rocks. You should see the "palace of the incans", but you do have to pay to go inside.

The real reason to go to the island is to hike. The main contribution that the incans left are lots of steps, I heard there are around 1,000.

On the hike you can also view the testing grounds for some international projects and also see some incan technology in action. One cool thing are the active terrace fields. This farming technique was mastered by the Incans, and eradicated by the spanish. Certian international agencies are reviving it, and improving it with great success.

Also on the hike you can catch a llama or alpaca heard, they're friendly creatures and you might get licked or spat on!

The final thing worth doing in the island is spending the night. The island has many cottages that you can sleep in and "live as a native". Typically they don't have electricity, but include as much food and chica (corn beer) that you can drink. The amazing thing about the island is really the nights, because your at a high altitude, and no light polution..... pretty sweet eh?
The trail
Nice pictures!
Posted on: Nov 27, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Isla del Sol

Copacabana and Isla del Sol
Copacabana is a strange small town but I kind of liked it. We arrived mid afternoon so spent the rest of the day looking around. There is an interesting walk up the Cerro Calvario, a hill that is ju…Isla del Sol you take a boat from the beach in Copacabana. We decided we wanted to stay the night…
Copacabana & Isla Del Sol
I had to make my way back to the border with Peru to renew my passport as it’s already been 3 months that I’ve been in Bolivia.  I decided that it was high time to see Cuzco and Macchu Pichu…Copacabana on Lake Titicaca and see the Isla Del Sol which I had missed on my trip through there when…
Copacabana and Isla Del Sol
We travelled by bus from La Paz to Copacabana on the shores of Lake Titicaca, it's a fairly small very touristy town but it was ncie to be by the water. Our plan was to do a bit of walking in the are…Isla del Sol. Next morning we walked around the southern end of the island before heading up to Challapampa in the north of the island to catch the ferry back…

Check Copacabana Hotel Deals