Iron Barley

www.ironbarley.com - (314) 351-4500

Iron Barley Saint Louis Reviews

Kramerdude Kramerdu…
A quirky and tasty St Louis treat Mar 05, 2011
Was looking for a place to eat in St Louis one evening and one of my compatriots mentioned that whenever he is in a new town he checks to see if there is a restaurant from Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives in town. Well St. Louis has the Iron Barley and so off we went.

Located south of downtown St Louis in the Dutchtown neighborhood, the Iron Barley shares the German heritage of its surroundings. The area is a bit run down but don't let that stop you. We arrived around 8:00 PM, had a beer and ordered dinner.

The food is an assortment of German motifs, but mixed with other brash flavours. I started with a bowl of gumbo that was sumptuous then moved to the smoked sampler. This was a smoked pork chop and a smoked bockwurst covered in sauerkraut. The meat was flavoured with a brown sugar sauce which with the sauerkraut made for an outstanding mix of sweet and sour with the meat.

Some of my companions had the Oak Barley Pork platter and other favorites include Zarzuela, the Schnitzel & Spaetzle, and for the adventurous try Monte Christo or Ballistic Elvis Sammich.

But the evening was not complete until we tried the dessert. The Blaster Pies really should not have been as tasty as they were. The combination of flavours should not work, but they did. Exquisitely. The Peanut Butter Blaster, which I tried, is a peanut butter ice cream pie covered with a strawberry-habaƱero sauce, Jack Daniels infused whipped cream flaked with a small amount of jalapeno, and coated in a chocolate sauce infused with a tiny amount of chipotle. Like I said it shouldn't work but it does.

There was some live music the evening I was there (not very good mind you) and the decor is somewhat cheeky. But the service was excellent and I enjoyed my meal.

Now the food is expensive - the tab for soup, meal, dessert, and a beer was just under $30 - for a hole-in-the-wall type joint but don't let that stop you from trying this at least once. There are some cheaper options if you go for the Sammiches. I will probably be heading back here on some of the additional trips I will be making to St Louis in the future.
Smoked Pork chop, smoke bockwurst …
The Iron Barley seating area.
A Three Stooges motif in the restr…
iamsoccerfrog iamsocce…
Cool atmosphere, Extraordinary Food Feb 13, 2011
Great German place in downtown St. Louis. A very laid back atmosphere with phenomenal food; their meats are their specialties but their other food is also cooked to perfection!

I recommend this if you're looking for a fun, relaxed night, and if you want a really intimate atmosphere, ask to be seated in the basement; there they have live music, chalkboard ceilings and nice mood lighting.
restaurant front
Chalkboard ceiling
part of the ambience lighting
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Eclectic neighborhood restaurant Jan 09, 2010
Iron Barley is a neighborhood joint in St. Louis. After seeing it on tv a couple times, my dad mentioned he'd like to go there. Keeping this in mind, we surprised him by taking him there on his birthday (the surprise: be ready to leave by 3:30, and that's all we said. We thought he'd figure it out once we headed west. But we actually successfully pulled this off, just short of having to put duck tape on my sister's mouth. Daddy's girl will tell him anything he wants to know). Ok, back to the review. We arrived at Iron Barley just prior to what would be considered regular dinner hours. It was relatively quiet, but while we were eating the place got busy.

Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgeble, offering specials and menu suggestions. We each got a signature dish; I opted for the monte cristo - a hot dog sandwich with swiss cheese and strawberry jelly. I know it sounds disgusting, but it wasn't; it was just the right balance of salty and sweet. My sister got the schnitzel and spaetzel, one that has been voted as one of St. Louis' best dishes. Dad tried pork chops of some sort, which wasn't out of the ordinary; he orders those everywhere, but he did say these were among the best. And, I don't really remember what Mom got, but it was steak of some kind.

Dining at Iron Barley was worth the two hour drive over there. We had a really nice dinner and enjoyed Dad's birthday together.
the outside of Iron Barley