International Nativity Museum

316, Bethlehem, Israel

International Nativity Museum Bethlehem Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
scenographic! Dec 07, 2014
Our discovery to this museum was unexpected. Bummed from a previous museum we paid a visit; walking at the Star Street, to follow the so called the way of the "Three Wise Men" was the 'wisest' thing to do. Little did we know it was, in fact, true! Uncovering a well-known museum in the city of Bethlehem is like a gift! This one of a kind find is called “The International Nativity Museum.”

The building may look plain from the outside for one this is a convent, but the entire ground floor houses more than two hundred collections of the nativity scene! The main focus in the collections is the 'crib' of baby Jesus made in or from different parts of the world. Some cribs crafted very simply, but some are very elaborate, colorful, and artistically done. The materials used depicts the richness of a particular country. An example of that is the Nativity Scene from Mexico that is very colorful; we all know color is a huge characteristic of the Mexican culture! Even the conceptualization of each piece; originality is very visible, and best magnified in the collection from Korea. Even the facial appearance or the skin color of the baby Jesus are 'customized' Obviously, the organizers of this museum aim to represent Jesus’ personhood as universal.

I enjoyed our visit to The International Nativity Museum very, very much! It is a place never to miss when you are visiting the city of Bethlehem.

Aside from the Nativity Scene, other collections such as depictions of The Fall of Adam & Eve through a diorama are also exceptional!

Entrance fee is €4.00 or NIS 20.00 (US$6.00) although, at that time of our visit, it was free to enter. I’m not sure why, but there was a group of nuns who were visiting too, and the person who was manning the museum, invited us to join the tour.

The coolest thing is; visitors are allowed to take photographs! As I mentioned, there are over two hundred collections. It is impossible to take a photo of it all, but I was able to photograph a few. Just bear with the photos; out of focus mostly! ;(

If you like nativity scene, and you're in the area this is the place to visit.
cotton_foam says:
Thank you my friends for the congrats greetings! I appreciate your kindness, and have a fabulous day! ~ May
Posted on: Dec 11, 2014
RIGAS says:
Congrats on your featured review May!
Posted on: Dec 10, 2014
hanleyscot says:
Congrats on your featured review! Well done!
Posted on: Dec 10, 2014