Interacting with moto drivers

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Interacting with moto drivers Phnom Penh Reviews

kaysee kaysee
Moto McSpeedies Dec 27, 2011
Moto drivers give Phnom Penh a special quality because they don't just shuttle you between places; they can help you look for apartments, do your grocery shopping while you're at work or bring you home intact after a hard night of partying.

In my short stay in PP, my experiences with moto drivers has spanned horrible (he got us deliberately lost just so he could squeeze out an extra dollar in the US$1 fare for short distances) and the spectacular (Mr B, my friend's preferred moto driver, gave me a free tour of the Riverside on my way back to the airport and even texted us Christmas greetings).

To avoid getting ripped off, it's good practice to ASK HOW MUCH THEY'LL CHARGE YOU before you even attempt to straddle the bike. This way, you can haggle and refuse if the price is too high (US$3 for long distances, US$1 for short ones, US$15 to the airport). Note that many of them also don't know where places are because they're fresh from the village and are slumming it in town to earn a few bucks.

It helps to research ahead what street numbers are (house or block numbers are virtually useless because they're not placed in order on a street) and the nearest landmarks.

Passengers don't need to wear a helmet, but drivers are legally required to, so point it out when they're not wearing one because police might flag you down and put the cost of a ticket or bribe on you.

Other than that, sit tight and enjoy the ride!
Lupobianco says:
I love these Two Stroke Concierges! They can do anything except give change.
Posted on: Dec 23, 2013