Insel Mainau

11 Insel Mainau, Konstanz, Germany

Insel Mainau Konstanz Reviews

stefan88 stefan88
Beautiful area not only for botanists May 08, 2011
Situated in lake Constance, this beautiful island is laced with flowers and plants of every kind.

Right upon entering the park we were presented a giant flower, formed of hedges and flowers to look like a giant flower itself.

Be sure to have a walk to the "butterfly house", a house full of dozens of kinds of butterflies. Be prepared that in the house the temperature is normally high and humidity is also high. When I visited Insel Mainau on a Sunday, the buttefly house was very crowded but really worth a visit.

The different gardens are just overwhelming too: there are gardens with hundreds of tulips, orchids, roses, ...

As with every great location right beside your home: you'll normally do not visit it too often.

This happened to me with "Insel Mainau" too. I first thought it is only interesting for botanists. When I first visited it with some colleagues from China I was so fascinated that I will definetly come back at another season to see the other plants in their beautiful colors.

One of the MUST-DOs when you are visiting Konstanz or the area around it.
Butterfly House
missandrea81 says:
Wir haben schon schoene Flecken in Deutschland. :)
Posted on: Aug 24, 2012
missandrea81 missandr…
Perfect little excursion, not just for botanists May 24, 2010
Insel Mainau, is a medium island on the west end of Lake Konstanz/Bodensee. You can reach it easily on A81 and some back roads or if you come from Bavaria you can use the ferry at Meersburg and it will shave quite some driving time off your trip.

The island itself can be reached by foot over a bridge from the parking lot. The views are spectacular and if the weather is nice you'll have a very nice experience. I wouldn't recommend wearing high heels, because there are some parts where the incline is pretty steep. Flip-flops are fine or whatever you're comfortable in.

The island is best known for it's floral displays. Some shaped like animals other parts are planted by season. There are always some flowers blooming on Mainau. Best to check the website for the seasonal arrangements. I hear the rose garden is really nice when they're in season. Even off season it's a very pretty sight on this privately owned island.

There's a petting zoo for children, a gift shop and several restaurant are located around the island. There's a church and a palm green house on top of the hill. There's also a special orchid and butterfly greenhouse and it's one of my favorite places on Mainau. Another favorite are the stairs with the artificial waterfall and planted flowers around it.

This is the perfect place to take your mum on Mother's Day, or if you're spending time on Lake Constance and don't know what to do, I recommend coming here. Check the prices, if the full price is too steep for you, consider coming in the late afternoon when the price is reduced.

We've eaten at one of the restaurant on the foot of the hill with a great view of the lake. The food was good, but obviously a bit more expensive then elsewhere.

I listed visiting this island as expensive because in my opinion it is. I've been here twice now, and the first time we had arrived late (5pm-ish) and got in with a reduced ticket. We had plenty of time to walk throughout the island and enjoy it. IF you wanna spend all day here, by all means, pay the full price.
Lake views
Flowers and the lake
Koralifix Koralifix
More colourful than a rainbow ... May 23, 2009
Blumeninsel Mainau (‘Flower Island Mainau’) is a beautiful spot in the south of Germany. This idyllic island is located in Konstanz in the middle of Lake Constance.

The Lennart Bernadotte Foundation is the proud owner of this harmonic area and takes care of the maintenance of this popular destination.

If you’re a hobby gardener, a professional botanist, an architecture lover or just an excited tourist visiting this place will be worthwhile in every season anyway!

Flora and fauna are something you have to see, touch, smell – in other words: to experience. That’s why Blumeninsel Mainau is the perfect spot to everybody, who wants to be an active part of our environment.

Diverse fondly planted gardens like a lovely rose garden and spicy herb garden, a creatively designed fountain area and colourful butterfly garden fascinate loads of visitors thanks to their amazingly neat atmosphere.

A couple of interesting buildings and ancient towers attract architecture lovers from near and far as well.

I completely liked these totally gorgeous looking hedges, bushes and flower beds that are shaped in the form of different animals. Bet you’ve never seen such an enormous peacock and rabbit before – true pieces of art.

This wonderful island offers a neat dip into a very unique ambiance! A super time is guaranteed to young and old!

Even though we’re surrounded by bright flowers, fluttery butterflies and imposing architecture often we usually do not notice these special values. That’s why Blumeninsel Mainau is an unforgettable place to discover the beauty and the charm of our surroundings.
A huge rabbit
The graceful peacock
reikunboy says:
congrats on your featured review
very nicely written
pebbles2k2 says:
Congratulations on being featured! :-)
jendara says:
Congratulations on your Featured Review:)
Greetings from La Paz:)
ejames01 ejames01
Mainau Island May 24, 2009
I visited Maniau Island back in 1984. It's an absolutely beautiful island. They have plants and trees from all over the world.
Lake Kontanz

Related Travel Blogs About Insel Mainau

Insel Mainau
Insel MainauAfter a great breakfast at our hotel we started our day taking a taxi to the island of Mainau.This green island is a huge park with many different flowers, large lawn areas, a palmtree ho… Insel Mainau After a great breakfast at our hotel we started our day taking a taxi to the island of…

Check Konstanz Hotel Deals