Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum

011 2301 0094

Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum New Delhi Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Indira tribute Feb 12, 2011
Located in the heart of New Delhi is the memorial place dedicated to Indira Gandhi, India’s first female prime minister. The sight is a wonderful collection of artefacts that relate to her life. I think she might have lived in this house at some point, and then the house was converted into a museum sight.

The artefacts are arranged rather easily, and you can have a very nice wander around them. I especially liked her childhood artefacts; there are sweet signed photos from uncle Ho Chi Minh and other important statesman and officials. Her bedroom is rather nicely laid out too; you get the impression that you are a bit of a voyeur, and the master is about to return to their bedroom and study. It was rather sad too see the remaining clothes of her son Rajiv too - you get to see the trousers which he was wearing when he was assassinated. The family photographs are rather nice, and I think it was rather lovely for the Gandhi family to share such shots with the public.

As she was assassinated here, there is a monument to mark this and the area is manned by a guard too.

Whether you thought she was a good leader or not, Indira was quite a figure in Indian politics. Her philosophy did strike a chord with many of the rural populace, and being the first female prime minister of India was quite an achievement. For these reasons alone, I think it’s worth visiting this sight.
spocklogic spocklog…
Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum Jan 14, 2009
There are perspectives of World Leaders that we know from history, but sometimes there is an opportunity to see the personal life behind the public figure. This was the case for me when visiting the Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum. I cannot remember visiting a museum that so transformed my impression of a public figure since I visited President Eisenhower's estate near Gettysburg more than a decade ago, and learned something about him as a man apart from the public figure.

So it was for me to see Indira Gandhi in a different way. The museum itself is basically a walk through history, showing many fine photographs with historical figures and displays of historical events in her life, but there are some of her childhood too which I found intriguing. There is a time sequence to see her as a person who rose to power in India. She was a remarkable woman. This is her story...

Knowing the museum is part of what was her residence as prime minister makes all this somewhat special. There is opportunity to see her study and library, where she held meetings with heads of state, and even her simple life as a person in other parts of the residence. On the grounds outside, there is opportunity to see her last steps in a crystal walkway that is quite moving. She was assassinated on the grounds and there is a monument with the words of her last speech enscribed too. I left the museum with a heavy heart, but very glad for the experience to have seen it.

It's a great museum in reflection and thought, but the displays and rooms it is housed in could be better. It's a bit cramped sometimes. Overall this place is worth seeing, and may be an overlooked gem. I was very moved by my experience here, and it's one experience in Delhi that remains with me in reflection.
Entrance