Indianapolis Canal Walk

Indianapolis, Indiana

Indianapolis Canal Walk Reviews

pearcetoyou pearceto…
Indy Canal Walk Jun 01, 2011
The Canal walk, or Central Canal, is located in downtown Indianapolis. Some of us from the Indy meetup met up here on Saturday morning. I'm not sure how many entry ways there are to the canal, but we entered by passing through the Indiana State Museum. According to the Indiana Historical Bureau, the canal was authorized back in 1836 as a link in transportation connecting the Wabash and Erie Canal with the Ohio River. But in 1839 the project was scrapped because the state went bankrupt. About a century and a half later the canal was completed. Besides the recreation and aesthetic touch it gives the city, it also provides hydraulic power and fresh water.

You aren't allowed to swim in the canal, or fish from it (there are goldfish), but it provides a nice walk through part of the city. And they have paddle boats available for rent, if you're so inclined. There is another museum along the canal that we passed by, the Eiteljorg Museum. You'll also see plenty of ducks swimming in the water or just sunning along the bank. At the point we stopped to turn back there is nice fountain out in the middle where the canal widens.
Harriet and me in front of the Mus…
pearcetoyou says:
Don't let the chickens know that I was impersonating a duck! I'll be labeled an outcast!
Posted on: Jun 03, 2011
travelman727 says:
James, you're right; the canal area is attractive :-) Mmm, so there were ducks out - I thought the quacking noise was you and Harriet chatting :-D
Posted on: Jun 01, 2011