431 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN, USA
www.in.gov/iwm - (317) 232-7615

Indiana World War Memorial Indianapolis Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Built to Honor the fallen Heroes of War May 08, 2011
This memorial is dedicated to all the soldiers from Indiana who fought in the World War. The War memorial is an amazing structure of a neoclassic design, reminded me of the Greek and Italian columns. I would call it a shrine commemorating the fallen soldiers from Indianapolis. It is not to be missed if you find yourself in Indianapolis. Unfortunate for me, the Museum was closed when I was there so I did not see the inside. The exterior of the memorial is nothing short of impressive.

The outside facade of the War Memorial has different inspiring art pieces and architecture. The face of the Memorial is made of Indiana Limestone. Between the five large windows in the tower on each of the four sides are six magnificent stone columns, above which stand the six heroic figures sculptured in stone, representing Courage, Memory, Peace, Victory, Liberty and Patriotism. These figures appear in the above order from left to fright on each of the four sides and it is their simplicity that blows ones mind away.

I approached the Memorial from the south side, and as I came closer, the huge statute of Pro Patria. A young man holding and partially wrapped in the American flag with his hands reaching out to the heavens. It is a bronze sculpture standing on pink granite. I failed to grasp the reason for him in front of the memorial, but the flag I thought speaks of liberation and patriotism. The young main raising his hand looked as if he was giving thanks for victory/ survival. Great sculpture made in 1929 by Henry Hering.

PS: Do not leave for tomorrow what you can accomplish today!
Africancrab says:
It was interesting being here. It is one of the best I have seen after Washington.
Posted on: May 22, 2011
montecarlostar says:
I love to visit history-related places like this one :)
Posted on: May 22, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Indiana World War Memorial

Day 3: The Sights, Scenes and Sneers of Indianapolis
Indianapolis is a beautiful town. It is the state capital of Indiana. Indiana was added to the Union in 1816. With a  population of 6.5 million residents, it is ranked 15th in population in the …Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Hall of Fame Museum 2. World War I Memorial 3. World War II Memorial 4. Vietnam and Korean Wars Memorial 5. Indiana

Check Indianapolis Hotel Deals