Indian Peaks Wilderness

Colorado, United States

Indian Peaks Wilderness Reviews

powderfan powderfan
Easy alpine hiking trails in Colorado Aug 11, 2014
Indian Peaks Wilderness is a beautiful large piece of backcountry set aside to be without vehicles, roads and buildings. The only access is by walking and climbing trails to this 120 square miles. It is full of 13000 ft mountains, lakes, and waterfalls. Elk, moose, bear, deer, mountain lions, mountain goats, and bighorn sheep are the inhabitants.

Indian Peaks Wilderness is about an hour drive northwest of Denver. Get there early if you want a good parking place close to your trailhead. Starting about 10 am they start making people park in the overflow parking lot which can be a mile or more from the most popular trails.

There are a lot of different trails, but the only ones I've hiked so far are Blue Lake and Lake Isabelle trails. Last weekend I got there about 11 in the morning so I had to park at the overflow parking lot by Lake Brainard and hike up 1.2 miles to the trailhead.

Above the parking lot is the edge of the wilderness and I went on Lake Isabelle trail this time. It's over 2 miles to the lake and a very easy trail. Along the way I saw Long Lake. Another hiker told me there were 2 moose ahead on the trail, but I didn't see them. There were tons of wildflowers along the streams. Some glaciers are to be seen towards the tops of the mountains. There were quite a few hikers along the trail.

After reaching Isabelle I ate and then continued up to a waterfall below the glacier and above the lake. The scenery was incredible the whole way!

It costs $10 to get into the wilderness area. I've also hiked Blue Lake Trail a few years ago. It was equally incredible, and I'll try to get some pictures up of that trail as well in a few days.
Lake Brainard! I had to park here…
Lake Brainard
Long Lake. After a short hike on …
Lake Isabelle Trail