India travel budget

India travel budget Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
India travel budget Jan 06, 2011
Country: India

Period visited: 2010 - 11 nights on my own / 23 nights with a friend on organised trip

Visa cost: 37 Euro / 60 days (at embassy in Kazakhstan)

Budget per day: 35 Euros on my own, 75 Euro on organised trip

Actual per day: 36 Euros on my own, 77 Euro on organised trip

Why so expensive?

India can be a cheap destination, but with a bit more budget you can get some very good value deals. Food is cheap, but beer is ridiculously expensive. Also, we travelled around by car and plane, instead of train and bus and slept mostly in mid-range accommodation.

Can it be cheaper?

Yes, if you stay at hostels and only travel by train and bus, you will be spending far less. Though in India budget travel means roughing it a bit.

Average costs:

Food & Drinks:

Beer: €1 (Amritsar/Delhi) to €3 (Rajahstan)

Espresso: €1 (Barista coffee branch)

Meal: €0.50-€2

Dorm: €1.50 (Delhi)

Single room: €6.70 to €16
jameshendicott says:
absolutely. I found going back to the UK really quite difficult after the less glamorous side of India! I might go back on a bigger budget later in life, I think it would change the experience utterly. I'm very much a bdget traveler these days, though.
Biedjee says:
Sure, you can travel India very cheaply. But as I mentioned, on a mid-range budget you can get some pretty good value deals. And in a country like India you start to appreciate things like cleanliness and comfort.
jameshendicott says:
I spent around 10 Euro a day and genuinely had a really good time. I did have nearly three months, though, and moved slowly and in cheap places most of the time. Depends on how you want to do it I guess :)