Independence of the Seas

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Independence of the Seas Fort Lauderdale Reviews

FishAtHeart FishAtHe…
Ship Number 6 Feb 26, 2009
You may be wondering why one of the newest ships sailing is last on my list. The Independence of the Seas is just too big for my liking. Just the shear size and number of passengers makes it huge!

Still sailing her first year, the Independence is beautiful! Everything is new and perfect! Our balcony was the largest we have had at sea. The beds were the most comfortable yet. But, there are just a couple things that will probably enter in to my decision on whether I will book a vacation on a ship this size.

First, it is a family oriented ship. If you are not "into" kids of all ages, this is definitely not the ship for you. The Flowrider, sports court, rock wall, and H2O Zone are all oriented toward kids and families. When sailing on the Independence, you will definitely want to experience the activities on the ship if you are traveling with family. For those who want a less busy ship schedule, this isn't for you.

Second, if you are put off by waiting in lines, the Independence isn't for you. There are so many passengers you are bound to wait in line - at ports, waiting for performances, elevators, etc. On a ship so large, you would think lines wouldn't be a problem, but it could be if you are impatient.

The friendliness of the crew seems to have been sacrificed for size. They are all so busy the personal touch has been lost. I never even met the cabin stewart until the third day! Our waiter was always running while taking care of several tables. He never really established a rapport with those of us at the table.

We had a beautiful cruise with stops in great ports. Now, that I have experienced cruising on a BIG ship, my tastes run toward the smaller, more intimate ones better.
PhinsAndGills says:
I'm so glad you sailed on her, that way I know that I probably won't! :)
Posted on: Feb 26, 2009