In and Around New Delhi
New Delhi, India
In and Around New Delhi Reviews
Arriving at New Delhi Jul 09, 2011
When you arrive in New Delhi, particularly for female travelers, it would be prudent to take extra precaution.
ON ARRIVAL (TERMINAL 3)
1) Make sure you have Indian Rupiahs ready. Withdraw from the cash machines inside the airport before you go out.
2) Confirm, confirm, confirm that your hotel has arranged to pick you up. Otherwise you'd have to deal with taxi touts and you would not want that.
3) If your hotel fails to send a car to pick you up, you have only two options: get a pre-paid air-conditioned car (IDR 1,200) or get a prepaid coupon taxi service (IDR 400). DO NOT GO OUT of the terminal without booking these in advance. These companies have counters located on the far right of the Arrivals area in T3. You will save yourself a lot of headache is you do this.
*prices quoted are from T3 to Connaught Place
DO NOT TALK to anyone else besides the person inside the booth and make sure you get specific directions where your vehicle is and what vehicle you are boarding.
4) There is another alternative to go to the City: via the Metro. If you arrive during the daytime, this will be a fast and convenient way to travel. I think the station is across the Departures area.
5) You might want to inform/call your hotel before you board the taxi. Give the vehicle details to the concierge so they know approximately when exactly they will expect you to arrive.
*if you get an non-airconditioned taxi have a handkerchief ready especially if you are allergic to dust.
AROUND NEW DELHI
1) Auto-rickshaws (tuktuk) are a convenient way to go around. Negotiate a price before you board. That's SOP!
2) I'd recommend the HO-HO bus route to get a good feel of Delhi. It stops at popular attractions, and the buses are well-maintained. A local guide will provide infomration about each stop, which is helpful. Ticket costs IDR 300.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Related Travel Blogs About In and Around New Delhi
The Delhi Scam - My arrival in India|
At the crack of dawn I present my passport at immigration and Mr. Singh in his massive turban looks at my immigration card with a quizzical look. “Address in India?” he asks with a raised eyebro…New Delhi is this. There´s nothing there. There is no center where people mingle around in the evening…
Now is where the real fun begins. The flight to New Delhi was surprisingly empty. I had three seats all to myself for the six hour flight and there were only a few other passengers in view. The hour…New Delhi around 8pm and made it through immigration relatively quickly before picking up our bags. Next, we found…
Incredible India (Birthday 2009)|
India is the land of unity in diversity. You will find a multitude of cultures, religions, traditions, cuisines and people in India. It is a magical land and most people fall in love with this countr…around New Delhi was the creation of the British Raj of the 30's and includes the President…