Il Vittoriano

Piazza Venezia, Rome, Italy

Il Vittoriano Rome Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Attention grabbing, OTT but worth seeing May 07, 2011
Il Vittoriano is a place that cannot be missed even if you tried. It's a huge monument dedicated to King Vittorio Emmanuele and is located just off Piazza Venezia. Inside there is a tomb of an unknown soldier from one of the world wars. You cannot sit on the steps by the way; the steps are carefully monitored and you'll hear a sharp whistle if you even dare to sit down! From the top of the steps, the guards and the flame are worth a quick look, as well as the great views it affords of the Foro Romano nearby. Although I found the monument to be rather vulgar, especially the way it is so large and gleaming in white, the sight is worth going to see as it's pretty memorable.
Vipin says:
ha! it's a bit of an eyesore, but it pulls the crowds in!
Posted on: Jun 28, 2011
bernard69 says:
looks like a huge wart:))
Posted on: Jun 28, 2011
Vipin says:
of course i didn't! it was really funny though, just as you saw a tired tourist sit down for a second, you heard this loud whistle!
Posted on: Jun 27, 2011
Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Sky Of Rome Jun 27, 2009
I may be in a minority, but I actually like Il Vittoriano. From my first ever visit to Rome this was the building that struck me most, so when I was back with my son it was an obvious place to go. I love the effect of the light when the sun shines on the white marble, I think it looks great :P

Built to honour Victor Emmanuel II, the first king of a unified Italy, it took nearly 50 years from the concept to the completion of the building in 1935.

It also houses the eternal flame and Italy's Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier, and is expected to be respected as such a monument. We were stopped at the gate and asked/told to put away our drinks, which was fair enough.

There is free access in and around the base, but I wanted to do the Sky Of Rome. Around the back of the building is a glass elevator to take you up to the roof, where you can enjoy panoramic views across the city. You get to look down on the nearby Forum and Coloseum, and across the city to The Vatican.

On the rooftop there are free binoculars to gaze further afield to the seven hills and you can see the Stadio Olimpico, home of Rome's Lazio and Roma football teams ( interested me ;) ) .

Wasn't particularly busy when we went, hardly anybody up on the roof, which is surprising as it was only €7 to go up. There is a cafe/bar on the terrace when you come back down, but never went in as it would be likely to be overpriced, and it would have meant stopping and we still had much more to see.

Worth doing to see the other historic sites from a different perspective.
Il Vittoriano
Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier * Eter…
Carving On The Altar Of Italy
Getting A Lift :D

Related Travel Blogs About Il Vittoriano

Right, ready for a relaxing day rummaging random Roman ruins in Rome?
  Boy was I hungover today. The home brewed beer had tasted great last night, yet somehow it didn't seem all that great the next morning... But I forced myself to get out of my hotel room. N…Rome. I started over at Il Vittoriano, which is the biggest landmark in ancient Rome. It is a big, brash…

Check Rome Hotel Deals