Ike's Place

Ike's Place San Francisco Reviews

JohnBoricua JohnBori…
As seen on Man Vs Food Aug 20, 2012
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I saw Ike's Place featured on "Man vs. Food" when Adam went to San Francisco. When I saw the variety of sandwiches on the show, I was impressed. But when I saw the behemoth sandwich the "Kryptonite", I knew I had to go there before I died.

Since we were vacationing in San Francisco, Ike's Place was a must-do. It's in the middle of the city in a residential neighborhood. It's real easy to miss, if you are not looking for it. It has no tables ... just benches to sit down and wait for your order. The Kryptonite is not on the menu, so you will have to ask for it. There is an online menu.

As for the sandwich .... it was HUGE & it was DELICIOUS. It was messy. It was an experience. The first half fed me & my wife for dinner. the second half fed me for lunch & dinner the next day.

For anyone visiting San Francisco, DO NOT leave the city without eating a sandwich here. You won't regret it.
dfoo dfoo
Me want Sammich!!! Sep 12, 2010
What started out an innocent enough curiousity for good food in San Francisco (and looking for a food challenge) changes the whole game.

I first found out about Ike's through watching a program called "Man Vs Food". After watching this segment on Ike's, my interest was piqued. The more reviews and youtube videos I watched on this institution the more I wanted to visit it.

I rarely make a point to go somewhere to eat on my travels. Normally I just wander into the nearest place after working up a hunger pounding the pavement. However, I literally dedicated a whole day to maximise my Ike's Place experience.

On the day. I rocked up at 3pm. Because of this I missed a lot of the infamous queue. At the end of a short 10 min queue, I had exchanged $15 for a root beer, a Nacho Boy, a pack of chips, and the promise of the best sandwiches in San Francisco. What I got was the best sandwich I've ever had. Its hard to describe how great my sandwich tasted without sounding like a lovesick gushing teen. I don't know what they put in the dirty sauce, but my heart literally stopped for a few beats withing the first few bites. The sourdough bread I had was not only soft and chewy it was oh so fresh. I bake my own bread at home, and I wished I could make bread as good as what they do at Ike's.

My adivce to anyone who is visiting SF. Seek this place out. It will change the way you view sandwiches. I just wished I had more time at SF so I could taste more of the menu. As crazy as it sounds I would fly back to SF just to have one of their sandwiches. Definitely in my top 5 food memories. I am salivating just thinking of it.

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals