Ijen Crater

Bondowoso, Indonesia

Ijen Crater Bondowoso Reviews

yuness yuness
'Beautiful scenery of Ijen Crater' May 01, 2008
I arrived in Paltuding at 3pm and got a room at one of the houses here to rent is only IDR 100,000 / night or $ 10. I have a bed and an outside basic bathroom. I have an Early start next morning must be awake about 4.30 am, for an appointment to go Ijen crater, the guide thankful comes to wake you...because so cold here and maybe I not want to wake up myself. So after he woke me I washed my face and brush my teeth...brrrrr my water bottle cooler is like in refrigerator.

Here at Paltuding is the starting point to the trail up to the Crater, so without wasting time, I prepared myself with a thick jacket, Head Coverings, Flashlight, Headlamp and my backpack which contained my camera and water etc. After I’m prepared I rushed to the location of the initial ascent. Here a guide explained to me about the Ijen crater. While in front of me there are some tourists who also are to climb...so I'm not alone now :D

The route up to the Ijen crater is about 3 miles up a twisting and rugged dirt path. sometimes having to go down slightly then up again all along the route are ramps helping for us to make better our steps, our group is making only slow progress and another group overtook us, they are walking very quickly and soon they vanish out of sight .. ahhh I felt out of breath and I can only walk slowly as the air here is very cold and thin of the oxygen. Finally after 2 hours of the tiring climb we all reached the summit of Mount Ijen and its crater.

Having got here at the top all tiredness vanished instantly when we take the sight of the beautiful turquoise colored lake that fills the crater and combined with bright blue skies and green surrounding forests, and especially when the morning mist is still rising out of these trees, makes for a very exotic sight to enjoy, the scene to be witnessed was just amazing.

The first impression at the peak is so " WOW " what an amazing volcano and still Smoke billowed from a holes of solfatar. It is a remarkable landscape...so the weather is getting brighter by the minute, trails and ravines began to appear so without wasting time I have to immortalize this beautiful moment by getting out my camera and taking lots of pictures....I have to go down closer to the sulfur smoke emerging from the craters edges in the distance and then on down to the mining area. The smell of the sulfur fumes is very pungent, but I still wanted to take some photos of the mine .

Over time the landscape in the crater of Ijen becomes more visible, revealing Scars of the Earth's surface which are so alluring and making life more beautiful. That morning one by one sulfur seekers begin to arrive and assume the task of taking two baskets onto the driveway and down the steep road to the crater’s mining area, they are extraordinary mighty men who transport 80 kilograms of sulfur rock many times on their shoulders for little reward in their pay...and worse is to suffer future bad health.

Mount Ijen stands at 2386 meters above sea level today but once stood so much higher as did all other volcano’s of this Earth. Today’s exotic scenery does not remind us to much of its violent history, here at Ijen it does leave us with a product of sulfur rock which the miner make a hard living from, we learned a lot about their continuous struggles today. The Beauty here is a poisonous one and years of working the mines shortens their lives. If one day I visit here again, I hope the miners are better equipped and better paid...better still do not have to work here at all..:)
yuness says:
@Sarah,I see...I visited Ijen on 2007/2008 before an eruption so still good to explore :)
Posted on: Nov 29, 2013
sarahelaine says:
Great review! I was there a couple of years ago, just after an eruption, and the dead trees were really spooky. :)
Posted on: Nov 29, 2013