Ignorance will get you ripped off quickly

Costa De Caparica, Lisbon, Portugal

Ignorance will get you ripped off quickly Lisbon Reviews

Charlotte79 Charlott…
how not to get ripped off by taxidrivers in Budapest (Hungary) May 21, 2011
When you arrive by plane to Budapest, the first thing you'll probably do is get into town. I would advise you to take the bus (ask for BKV) or the train. Taxi will cost you a fortune if you are foreigner. The local transportation is well structured in the city, so you don`t really need a taxi for other than comfort. In case you decide to take one, make sure someone local calls a car for you (never sit into one parking on the street!)because if you don`t speak hungarian they will charge you double fare(or much more). If possible, check on a map how to get where you want otherwise the driver will take you on a "sightseeing" tour. Also make sure, you have different notes and coins, because if you pay with a large banknote, he wont give you any change back ( he'll say at least so). Girls! Never get into a cab on the street,especially not alone!!!!
yarayarinha7 says:
what does Budapest have to do with lisbon???
Posted on: Jun 11, 2013
DoosCah says:
Just came back from Budapest and luckily I didn't get into that Taxi trap. The Metro system was enough to get around with. I understand what you mean about taking advantage of non-hungarian speaking foreigners though in general.

This lady in the Budapest airport tried to con me relentlessly over a couple of cokes. I bought a chocolate bar and gave her the equivalent of about £10 as a note. Whilst she rang it up I pointed to the cokes and asked how much they were. She replied "ok, two cokes for you ok, thank you" put to 'warm' cokes on the counter, closed her till and walked off.

I was in disbelief. She obviously spoke some English, so I ran round and said to her "erm, excuse me, I was just enquiring about the price", she kept on trying to smother over my words with a loud "ok, you buy dis now thank you goodbye".

The rage in me built up so fast, I was getting ready to pop someone's neck. After more of her foolishness, I had to raise my voice for a refund which startled her into opening back up the till for my dosh.

Moral of the story, don't let people take you for a mug because you're foreign. I worked hard for my money and ain't paying £10 for two blinkin cokes.
Posted on: Jun 05, 2011