If it's on a stick, they'll eat it

Beijing, China

If it's on a stick, they'll eat it Beijing Reviews

mshum mshum
Jun 10, 2005
Beijing is a veritable paradise of foods on a stick, or skewers/kebabs as most people know them. You can find them everywhere, from nice restaurants to the ubiquitous street stalls.

The most popular of these would be "yang rou chaunr", make sure to enunciate the ending "rrrr" for the local Beijingers. These are lamb skewers, grilled to perfection over coals and withhandheld hair dryers, flavoured by Arab spices, and are most importantly, cheap. The average street stall will sell them from 0.5 to 1 yuan, a ridiculously small amount. This allows you to buy them in bunches of 5 or 10, which even the most tiny of people can finish. For the more adventurous, these stalls also sell other parts of animals, (eg. livers), as well as other meats such as chicken skewers, all for under 3-5 yuan each. These stalls are everywhere, and are usually attached to a restaurant. I highly recommend anyone to try them, and it remains one of the things I miss most of China.

For the tourists in Beijing, go to Wang Fu Jing (there's a subway stop, to the right of Tiananmen), where you will find a long row of street stalls that is especially nice at night. Here many exotic foods and desserts are on offer, most of it on a stick. From insects and bugs, to sugared fruit, WangFuJing is the place to be for foods on a stick. Prices are a bit much (perhaps 1 yuan more than normal), but you won't find scorpions on a stick anywhere else.

Finally, the restaurants. Surprisingly enough there are quite a few Arab restaurants in Beijing, and all will have kebabs. Most local chinese restaurants will also have them, especially the Muslim and Xinjiang ones. The prices will be much more at the westernized places, but the portions will be larger and more succulent.. I recommend you check out Souk, which was voted one of Beijing's best restaurants.

In all, if you haven't had some type of food on a stick in Beijing, you haven't experienced Beijing. Indeed, you have not lived life to its fullest yet.
My neighbourhood Yang Rou Chaunr g…
Bug kebabs at WangFuJing
Kebab platter at Souk, mouth-water…
dahling says:
you made me sooo hungry. It sounds very, very interesting and tasty
Posted on: Feb 14, 2012
lockhart882000 says:
Thanks Mshum -

I will try it when I visit Beijing. Right now all I use Beijing for is customs check and flight transfer. I have not visited Beijing. It will be "yang rou chaunrrrr" on a stick for sure and when I do you will be the first to know about it - Peace – and Happy Traveling
Posted on: Jan 15, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About If it's on a stick, they'll eat it

Cirque du Soliel
We started off this morning by heading to a special needs school. Our local guide, Grace, said that is was a school for kids with "mental disease". When we got there the kids took us by the hand and …eat them. Chinese delicacy. She said at the outdoor markets in Beijing they deep fry them on a stick. I'll pass…

Check Beijing Hotel Deals

If it's on a stick, they'll eat it Map
Beijing