Ida Davidsen

Ida Davidsen - The restaurant

Ida Davidsen Copenhagen Reviews

curious_claire curious_…
My First Smørrebrød Jul 01, 2015
Smørrebrøds are a popular dish in Denmark which is an open sandwich. I had to make sure I tried one while in Denmark for the first time. I consulted my guide book for a good one and came across Ida Davidsen. It was only around the corner from where I was so I had to visit it. I walked up to it and there was a menu on the wall outside. I took a quick glance at it and then walked inside. I was met by a beautiful display of smørrebrøds. They looked stunning.

I was taken to my table before having to walk back up to the glass display cabinet to chose the smørrebrød I wanted. Problem was there was no menu inside so I had no idea what I was looking at. Wish I'd paid more attention to the menu outside! So I mentally selected a couple and then asked the girl working what they were. I ended up picking a fishy smørrebrød.

The restaurant was very elegant for a place that was only open for lunch. I was there at the end of the lunch service so it was very quiet. But when my dish came it looked as gorgeous as it did in the display.

I could tell I was there at the end of service though as while I was enjoying my lunch the display cabinet was slowly taken away. A shame as I was planning on taking a picture of it before I left!

But this was a great place to go for my first smørrebrød. It was the most expensive lunch I had in Copenhagen but it was worth it. Definitely worth trying at least once and this is a good place to try your first smørrebrød.
The restaurant
My smørrebrød
Chokk Chokk
Making art out of Danish Smorrebrod Feb 01, 2013
There are few things in Denmark that are more iconic than Danish ”smørrebrød” and today I had the honor of being served by the Danish ”smørrebrød” icon, Ida Davidsen. Since 1974, she has run the Restaurant Ida Davidsen at St. Kongensgade 70. Here she together with her husband and the restaurant personnel, carry on the 100 years old unbroken family tradition of quality and Danish food culture.

If you want taste something totally different and quite exaggerated you have to come here. It is best to book a table in advance but you might be lucky to get a table by just walking in. The restaurant is not as cozy as many of the other Danish lunch restaurants that have specialized in ”smørrebrød”, but it has its charm and especially if Ida Davidsen is present to explain the different creations that you can choose from. The restaurant serves a staggering 250 different pieces of ”smørrebrød” and they have a Guinness world record menu list.

The ”smørrebrød” creations are mind blowing if you like me is a keen foodie. When Ida explained the different ”smørrebrød” that was on display me eyes wanted them all but from experience I know my limit is 3 pieces. All the pieces have names and most of them from royalty persons or nationally famed Danish actors or entertainers. One of the ones that I had today was a Victor Borge. Today I managed to enjoy 3 of her creations; a salmon, smoked eel tartar and a steak tartar with raw oysters and caviar.

Over the last many years Ida Davidsen has been an ambassador of ”smørrebrød” and made this kind of Danish gastronomy known and loved outside the Danish borders.
Raw steak tartar with oysters
Steak tartar
Smoked ell tartar
Salmon and caviar
Chokk says:
Andy - you have to come to Copenhagen then :)
Posted on: Feb 15, 2013
Andy99 says:
The menu is astonishing! I've never seen anything like it!
Posted on: Feb 14, 2013
tour_guy says:
Congrats on your feature!
Posted on: Feb 14, 2013