Ice caving in Vatnajokull glacier

South Iceland, Iceland

Ice caving in Vatnajokull glacier South Iceland Reviews

osgoodst osgoodst
Coolest Thing We Did in Iceland - great views and crawling through icecaves Feb 20, 2017
The highlight to my recent trip to Iceland was visiting Vatnajokull Glacier to go hiking / caving in the local icecaves. This must be done through a tour, we used blue iceland who are a very small outfit but the guide was hilarious.

You meet in the local icelagoon (Jökulsárlón) which was already chaotic at 9 in the morning. We were actually a little late taking 1 hour to get there from Hofn, while the host said it would be 45 minutes :( Luckily everyone else in our group was late. After a few cups of coffee we were off.

The first thing is, to get to the glacier we had to take this "monster truck" which looked like a school bus cut in half and welded to a garbage truck, and given tricked out wheels. The drive to the glacier was not pretty, we rocked and rolled, and I fell out of my seat a few times from the bumps. After about one hour we arrived to the ice field.

Next was the cool part, we put on some crampons, then hiked up to various ice caves. The first one was black from ash mixed in with the ice. The ice caves actually melt every year so new ones get formed.

The highlight was a cave pretty deep in the field. We climbed into a depression, and ducked under a few arcs of ice / went into a cave. To get out of the cave we had to squirm through a tiny hole and kind of popped out the top. You'll see in the photos.

We also visited a sort of cool ice ampetheater thing, and a few ice caves that we couldn't enter due to the excess water. The glaciers are going to be gone in 300 years its time to hurry up and visit!

At the end we learned the official northern lights dance.

The only thing I didn't like is we had a big group with us (along with a nice french couple), who were sort of obnoxious and kept falling down, hurting themselves. The price was not cheap, nearly 200 bucks to do this but well worth it.
me in a deep blue cave
climbing out of a cave, basically …
nice ice field
on top of an ice pillar
Ils1976 says:
looks like an awesome thing to do when visiting the country ... have to remember this one as well
Posted on: Mar 19, 2017
osgoodst says:
Ah MalenaN, it was all good. There was a really big tour group in front of us but they cleared out and we had the caves to ourselves. My group was just myself, my wife, a french couple, and these Indian people who were in lala land, so it felt like a 4 person tour for most of it.
Posted on: Mar 19, 2017
MalenaN says:
What a fascinating thing to do! Too bad the group was large, but the experience must have been great anyway!
Posted on: Mar 18, 2017