Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Rates and Deals

Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Playa Paraiso Reviews

cthunder86 cthunder…
All Inclusive resort with a modern feel Sep 30, 2015
I recently stayed here for 4 days during Sept and had a good time. I booked this hotel through apple vacations because it included the RT transfer and pickup. So basically it saved me 50 american dollars and the hassle. My experience was during the lowest of the low season. It's right in the middle of hurricane season and both college and grade school students will be back in school. Therefore, the prices will be at the very lowest possible. To give you an example, prices during spring break (late Feb-April) tended to be 4x as much per person. The negatives are that its very hot and humid, hurricanes may hit the coast (although its quite rare), and it may rain quite a bit. If you're good with that then I would expect you to have a fantastic time since I know I did. (bring lots of bugspray as well as those biting bugs will be out in full force)

Once you get dropped off at the lobby entrance you will fill out the paperwork and review the rules of the place. The Lobby (like many of the other facilities) are outdoor and without A/C. Next I will break down what you have to look for in sections.

The Pool is both huge, long, and deep! During the low season there were only a few swim up bars open but that's all that was needed. I saw a total of 5-6 swim up bars available for a pool that seemed to be 400 meters in length. It was hard to tell since it would wind around like a snack through the property. There is the part of the pool nearest to the beach where there is a dj for music as well but as you move further away you can obtain some peace and quiet if need be. Theres also a spot for pool basketball and beachvolleyball as well.

There are numerous pool reclines and pool beds ready for us. They have a policy of no reservations for the chairs and beds but I didn't see anyone there to enforce it.

As you walk by the pool you will encounter the large beach area. The beach isn't great but it isn't bad by anymeans. There are spots that are great for swimming but also spots that can be rocky as well. Plenty of benches with umbrellas as well for relaxing and of course a bar area to get some drinks.

I stayed in the standard king room that was located halfway between the beach and main lobby area. The room was about the size of an average hotel room and a bit outdated. There was a fridge, a balcony with chairs, a couch, chair, and the all important safe. The bathroom was nothing to rave about as it was decent with a large open shower.

Food was 100% free on this property along with most drinks. If you're strictly a beer drinker and youre not a fan of Dos Equis then you may have a problem as its the only beer available. You can have a variety of drinks made at dinner, lunch, from the numerous bars, restaurants, and some if you order room service which is free. You have few options for food such as the buffets, restaurants, eateries in the shopping area, and eateries near the beach. There is a variety of food made available from Mexican, american, asian, coastal at the buffet. I would suspect though that after 3-4 days one would get tired but thankfully they have several reservation only restaurants. The only downside to that is you can only book a certain number of times based on the number of nights. For instance, three nights or less you got 1 reservation, 3-5 nights and you received two reservations.

They've got a pretty good entertainment staff that provides you with both free and paid activities. Most of the premium stuff like excursions and spa use cost money but there are also a plethora of free acitivties like an hour of snorkeling, entertainment shows everyday after dinner, a club. gym, different sporting events/venues, and much more. If you want to book a tour to Tumul, cenotes, or whatever then they would be happy to book you a trip. I found them to be overpriced as I could simply do them myself.

This resort is located between Playa del carmen and cancun, but to be honest its closer to Playa. If you want to get to cancun then you must take a cab and it isn't cheap but you can take a cheap collectivo there and back specific times a day. I guess what I'm saying is that if you really want to explore other areas then this place may not be the best as transportation cost would add up. If you wanted to lay around and relax like I did and not have to worry about a thing then this would be a great investment.

All in all I had a fabulous time! I got a fantastic deal so I really felt like I got my money worth! Thankfully it was nothing but sun for my first few days and unfortunately it rained the entire time my last day. From what I here though is that it usually will rain for an hour or two and then the sun would come out again.

I would def recommend this place for families, older couples, or people who want to just relax. For those who want to party then I would head to an adult only resort for that.
cthunder86 says:
Thanks ya'll :)
Posted on: Oct 07, 2015
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Oct 06, 2015
spocklogic says:
Very thorough review - Good job!
Posted on: Oct 01, 2015
mrao mrao
Great resort, Great price, Great location, Great vacation Sep 04, 2010
I chose the Iberostar Del Mar based on recommendation from Apple Vacations. This was my first time to the Riviera Maya and to any Iberostar resort. In short, I would recommend and consider another Iberostar for a future vacation, as well as Riviera Maya (although Playa del Carmen and Cancun would be top 1 and 2 choices over Riviera Maya for the next go-round.) I met several friendly staff, visitors and had a 7 out of 10 level experience.

What I was looking for:

Superior beach access, beach relaxation, all-inclusive, safety/security, mild to moderate level of on-site partying. I went with a travel buddy.

*** PROS: ***

* Very friendly, helpful staff. The Iberostar entertainment staff, dubbed “Star friends” go out of their way to check up on you, invite you to games, performances, and be part of the nightly entertainment.

* There are always activities going on – on the beach as well as the many pools on site – you won't be bored unless you actively seek to avoid all contact with hotel staff. I played beach sand volleyball, danced meringue lessons etc – the variety, frequency and type of activities exceeded my expectations. This easily competes with a ClubMed like experience.

* The people/visitors are friendly = I met several international travelers, and the atmosphere is definitely singles-friendly.

* The beach is beautiful. There is always seating available, whether beach-side or pool-side. Crystal clear bright sand. You have to watch out for some corrals so you don't step on them and get scratched up (like I did, the first night.)

* The 9:45PM nightly shows are average. If nightly cruise ship shows are a 6 and Vegas shows are a 10, this experience was a 3. They make a decent effort to involve the audience. Pina coladas, daiquiris, and other alcohol being proffered by the waitresses walking around at opportune times, helps. It sure was nice being greeted as soon as I walked into the hotel lobby, with a mimosa.

* There were not as many children as I had expected to find, in this family-oriented resort. Someone reported the resort was only 30% full during my stay.

* The grounds are stunningly beautiful, there are cute, harmless anteater/antelope like animals and peahen running around everywhere.

* The grounds are massive – lots of walking – good exercise

* I booked this trip via Apple Vacations – they have their own desk onsite for booking excursions, etc

* Although I did not, I learned that you can take a free Iberostar operated shutte to a neighboring Iberostar in Playa Del Carmen or Cancun, etc.

* I experienced only minor rainy weather – I enjoyed hot, sunny weather 80% of the time, despite having traveled during hurricane season.

* The atmosphere definitely did not prove to be a wild, party scene.

* I met lots of Texans – wearing cowboy hats, Dallas Cowboys fans, etc. The many pools and swim up bars are a lot of fun and there is plenty of socializing and mixing going on to not get bored.

* Daily room service, cute towel animals left by room maids.

* The standard room I booked looked nice and was plenty spacious enough for me (rooming just by myself.)

* The in-room Minibar was always stocked with Dos Equis bottles and soft drinks and water. You must always drink bottled water, the tap water is not potable.

* The voltage is 110v, I plugged in my iphone 4 and it charged up just fine. I used it to take all my pictures.

*** CONS: ***

* I woke up in the middle of the night – one of the 6 nights I was there – and saw a 1.5inch dark cockroach scurry merrily from across the floor to under my bed

* Alarm clock theft must be a problem, b/c the way it was set up – the outlet/plug was built into the wall itself, preventing you from being able to unplug it. I struggled at 2am with a broken alarm on/off switch, and resorted to moving the clock forward by 6 hours to shut the darn alarm off.

* I used the in-room Domitech electronic safe deposit box every day. After 6 nights (the night before my departure) it stopped working, displayed ERROR2 on the screen. After a nerve-wracking 1.5hrs of a 3-man security team in my room trying everything they could to open the box, one man finally succeeded by slamming into the box very hard with his fist and that got it to finally open. Not very comforting…

* The restaurants felt more like 3.5 star than 5 star.

* The restaurant reservation system is antiquidated and artificially rigid. Their policy is to let you reserve up to 2 restaurants (2 nights) based on my 6-night stay. If I stayed longer, I could make more reservations. It took 45mins to make 2 reservations. It took another 20 minutes to make standby waiting list reservations for the other nights (none of them panned out/came through.) The restaurants each had several open seats and it was ridiculous that I couldn’t reserve more than just 2 restaurants. I chose the Italian restaurant (my experience was 1 out of 5) and the Mexican restaurant (I’d rate it 4 out of 5).

* All the alcohol was low to mid shelf liquor, at best. Dos Equis it is, stay thirsty my friends…

* The onsite night club disco was a joke. It was 80% men smoking up a cancer fest every night…

* The resort was mostly couples, I observed/met extremely fewer singles than I initially thought I would.

* The Iberostar del Mar side felt cheaper (less wood paneling, older/cheaper feeling lobby) than the immediately adjacent/connecting Paraiso side.

* I stayed for 6 nights = next time I might opt for 4 nights – that would be plenty

Overall, I would recommend this resort to a friend and would consider staying there again, but I would definitely try a different chain altogether or a different Iberostar.
Eric says:
Great, detailed review. Thanks for sharing on TB!
Posted on: Sep 14, 2010

Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Overview

Iberostar Paraiso del Mar is located to the front of the magnificent Playa Paraiso, halfway between Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen.

The resort has 388 tastefully decorated guest rooms and junior suites, each with one king size bed or two double beds. Other amenities include private bath or shower, air conditioning unit, ceiling fan, hairdryer, telephone, satellite TV, coffee machine, mini-bar and safety deposit box. Each room also has either a balcony or terrace and the junior suites include a living area.

Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Resort is a 5-star rated property that is designed to complement its natural surroundings. It boasts an attractive lobby, main restaurant with open kitchen, six specialty restaurants, two pool bars, a theater bar, cigar lounge, lobby bar, sports bar and nightclub.

Other services and amenities offered are high-speed Internet access, medical assistance, laundry service, garden, elevator and a 24-hour front desk service.

Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Amenities

• Direct dial phone
  • Audio/Visual Equipment
  • Steam Room
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower