IWM Plaza Histori District

Meridian & Market Street, Indianapolis, IN, USA

IWM Plaza Histori District Indianapolis Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
The Place of Monuments and structures honoring Indiana's Brave Soldiers May 08, 2011
The Indiana World War Memorial Historic District is located downtown Indianapolis. It's main entrance on Michigan street. When I took a personal tour of the district on a rather cool Sunday morning after the Indianapolis Travbuddy meet-up, I was not sure what to expect. I hailed a cab from my hotel and asked him to drop me at the Scottish rite Cathedral which I so wanted to see. Little did I know that the cathedral is just across the street from the Plaza.

The plaza is composed of monuments, structures and landmarks to commemorate the sacrifice of all soldiers from Indiana who went to war. From land, to sea, to air, all soldier who rendered service to inspire patriotism, have been honored right here. No expense was spared by the Indiana state in honoring her fallen faithful.

Included in the historic district are 2 museums, 3 parks, and 24 acres of monuments, fountains, sculptures and statutes. Like I said in my review on the Indiana World War Memorial, I have not seen anything like it except for the memorials in Washington DC. Included are;

1. Soldiers and Sailors Monument

2. American Legion Mall

3. Veterans Memorial Plaza

5. USS Indianapolis Memorial

6. Indiana World War Memorial Museum

7. University park

8. Battle Flag collection

9. Colonel Eli Lilly Memorial Museum

Visiting the Plaza is highly recommended.

PS: Do not leave for tomorrow what you can accomplish today!

Check Indianapolis Hotel Deals