IL Mare AS

2 Stortorget, Tromso, Norway

IL Mare AS Tromso Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Find somewhere else to eat Jul 22, 2011
Il Mare is located on the harbour with a nice view of the water and the mountains in the background. It had a trendy interior, but lacked the good atmosphere. It was almost empty when we were there, so that might have something to do with the lack of atmosphere.

Our waitress was not very professional and spoke no Norwegian. When I spoke to her in Norwegian she just stared at me and laughed. You can´t expect everybody in Norway to speak English, specially not older people and people from the rural areas. Until you learn sufficient Norwegian, maybe you should stay in the kitchen. Another waitress realized the problem and came to her rescue.

From the name I had expected the restaurant to serve Italian seafood, but not this one. Il Mare serves Chinese, Thai and Japanese food. I ordered the fried duck tempura with Thai style-mountain cranberry and a college ordered the ¼ duck with sweet and sour sauce. When it was served it looked pretty much the same. It was far from the best duck I have tasted. It was very little meat and very much fat on the duck. A third college ordered spring rolls and sushi. The sushi was small and very hard. Definitely pre made. The dusk must have been ready made to. It was served too quickly for them to be able to prepare it after we ordered it.

The food, the service and the atmosphere was not very good, so we only had a main dish, then we paid and left. My college who had ordered the sushi was still quite hungry, so we went somewhere else for a snack.

There are a number of good restaurants in Tromsø, so why waste time and money at Il Mare!

Check Tromso Hotel Deals