ICELANDAIR - flag carrier of Iceland.

Reykjavik, Iceland

ICELANDAIR - flag carrier of Iceland. Reykjavik Reviews

osgoodst osgoodst
ok Airline, lounge is quite, food is tasty - economy and premium economy Feb 16, 2017
The reason this great trip became possible is because Iceland Air started a direct flight to Chicago. One day while scrolling facebook I saw that they had a special... round trip tickets for $407. We found a long weekend and my trip to the Land of Fire and Ice was booked.

Iceland Air leaves from O'Hare Terminal 5, in classic cheap fashion I took the "L", which involed training on the redline all the way downtown, then out on the blue line to O'Hare, a 90 minute investment but only $2.25, its a deal I couldn't resist, which is great because Iceland made me broke :(

Checkin in Chicago took about 2 minutes, and security was lite at 4 pm (no Emirates, Ethihad, or flights to Asia leaving), and after a quick dinner we were on our way to Iceland.

The flight to Iceland took only about 5:30 hours, kind of like going to southern california. You had to pay extra for food in my cramped economy seat, so we passed. Luckily the inflight entertainment was pretty good including such classics as Dumb and Dumber, and the Star Wars Family Guy episodes.

The Y seat was tight! Like my knees were jammed into the person in front of me, and they weren't even reclined. After a hard landing (it was snowing) we were in Iceland.

The airport is expanding and is a zoo. People connecting to the UK don't need to go through customs, but everyone else does. There were a lot of people connecting to the EU who were on tight connections. Luckily a quick passport check later we were out and ready to enjoy Iceland. The bags arrived quickly, and soon we were on the FlyBus to our hotel. Note we leave Chicago at 6pm and arrive in Keflavik at about 7 am, and it was pitch black dark out.

On the way back I got an email inviting me to bid for an upgrade to premium economy. I said, "Hey I'll blog about it anyways, so lets get that tax break", and I put in the minimum bid. We got upgraded and when we arrived at the airport to leave we got a surprise, and upgraded into the SAGA class seats, with premium economy service.

Checkin took about 30 seconds, and security was efficient. Soon we were in the SAGA lounge, drinking some beer and diet coke, and eating some tasty hourdourves.

We then went through EU customs, and had to take a bus to the gate. There were a ton of people on the flight back who were coming from Paris yesterday, and missed their connection leaving them stuck in Iceland. So I would not recommend Iceland Air for connections unless you are very flexible if you get stuck.

The seat was the Saga seat which was like a domestic USA first class seat. The flight back took a long 7 hours. Luckily upon arrival we were the only flight, customs was quick but bag arrival took forever.

Overall I would fly Icelandair again to ICeland, and maybe the UK. IF they wanted to be really awesome they should get some fifth freedom flights from Greenland to the USA or Canada.
spread at the lounge
Keflavik Sage Lounge - very comfy …
sweet
This is the SAGA section
AdamR3723 says:
Useful information here! Thanks.
Posted on: Mar 21, 2017
lauro lauro
ICELANDAIR - flag carrier of Iceland. Oct 01, 2010
icelandair is the official flag carrier of iceland, with its base at the capital of reykjavik. only two airlines serve iceland - icelandexpress which is a budget airline and icelandair.

i booked icelandair not expecting anything, i booked from copenhagen, denmark to keflavik, iceland for only 212 euros return. i was overwhelmed by the service of the airline - the check-in staffs are very friendly (good sign) and in the aircraft, for 3 hours of flight - we got on board entertainment with selections of movies!

the other freebie was drinks - the food and the earphones for the movies are to pay so bring your headphone already. the meals are pretty expensive too.

the fascinating thing about flying icelandair is that the aircrafts are named from iceland's volcanoes! namely:

TF-FIA Herðubreið

TF-FIU Hekla

TF-FIV Katla

TF-FIX Hengill

TF-FIZ Keilir

but all in all, i really recommend flying with icelandair!
icelandair logo
the aircraft from copenhagen airpo…
on board entertainment!
menu on the european route :)
lauro says:
it was a pleasure amr! :D
Posted on: Jan 10, 2011
Amrisalem says:
thank you for sharing those valuable info with us :)
Posted on: Jan 09, 2011