Hyman's Seafood Co

www.hymanseafood.com - (843) 723-6000

Hyman's Seafood Co Charleston Reviews

anupa_rk anupa_rk
Fabulous seafood with a casual atmosphere Jul 07, 2016
Hyman's is an establishment that is as much a part of Charleston as the cobble stoned streets are. Right in the middle of the historic district, and only minutes away from the waterfront, this massive restaurant takes up an entire block and usually has a long queue of patrons waiting to get a table.

We got lucky because we decided to head there on the evening of the 4th of July. The streets were pretty empty with everyone preparing to go see the fireworks, and we got in with no wait at all.

The feeling that you get as soon as you enter is that of a rustic yet popular joint with a lot of history. There are pictures and posters all over the walls of the restaurant. On the one hand it seems very much like a no frills joint, but on the other it makes no attempt to disguise the fact that everyone who is a someone has been here.

The table that we were assigned on the second floor had apparently previously seated the likes of Martin Sheen and Neil Armstrong!

There are white boards along the walls that note the fish of the day and other daily specials. We were not very hungry and were there just to snack. So we decided to get some shrimps and some drinks.

The moonshine margaritas were fantastic! We tried the peach and the strawberry flavors. And when the waitress asked us if we'd like to make our drinks a "double", we were only too happy to nod our heads in an affirmative!

The hush puppies were highly recommended and lived up to their reputation. We even went for seconds.

The wait staff was instructed to also recommend an appetizer that was basically a cake of grits, fried and then drenched with cheese sauce and topped off with shrimps. I can't remember the name of it but it was heaven!

We got the chilled jumbo shrimps and the steamed scampi dinner platter. They were both excellent. I wish we were hungrier and could have a proper meal here. Going by the rest of what we ate, I am sure everything else on the menu would have been fabulous as well.

The owners of the restaurant walked around and greeted the patrons, asking if everything was OK. Oh and in the restrooms they had this amazing lavender scrub to get the fishy smell off your fingers. I used it for more than that coz it just smelled sooo good!

It being a seafood restaurant, there definitely was a slight fishy smell to the place. But it was all fresh and good. So if you enjoy seafood, you absolutely must visit.
In august company!
So many choices
I loved the feel of this place
Scoti2303 Scoti2303
Good seafood in downtown Charleston Jul 14, 2011
What's not to love about any food in Charleston? The food here was great and the prices were very reasonable. The service was excellent, and I love how convenient it is to all of the downtown attractions. Would eat here again on my next visit.
Liney722 Liney722
Eww Hymans Apr 26, 2011
Do NOT eat here, such a tourist trap and the food is awful as well as the service. I do not understand why so many tourist go here, please safe yourself! There are so many wonderful places to eat in Charleston, ask a local and we will shoot you in the right direction.

Check Charleston Hotel Deals