Hyannis Whale Watchers Cruises

Hyannis Whale Watchers Cruises - A whale rolls over in the water

Hyannis Whale Watchers Cruises Barnstable Reviews

Boston_Babe Boston_B…
A Thrilling Experience! Aug 02, 2009
We decided last minute to do a whale watch and I'm so glad we did!

Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises, which I will refer to as "HWWC", is the only place centrally located "mid-Cape" where you can depart on a whale watch. Otherwise you have to travel all the way to the tip of Cape Cod to Provincetown. HWWC is about a 10 minute drive from Hyannis and really easy to get to. Parking is available for $15.00. The high-speed cruise sails daily from May through October. Tickets are $45.00/adult, $40.00/senior, and $26.00/children and sold on a first come, first serve basis. The HWWC website usually offers a $3.00-off coupon. Whale sightings are guaranteed. In the rare case that no whales are spotted, HWWC will issue you a raincheck for another cruise. The whale watch lasts approximately 4 hours. HWWC suggest you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to sail time.

We arrived at 2pm for our cruise departing at 2:30pm and there were already a lot of people boarding the boat. The boat holds about 400 people. There are two climate-controlled interior cabins with cushioned seats and tables. There are three exterior observation decks with seating, one being on the second story, as well as aisles on each side of the boat that overlook the water. There is plenty of room to watch the whales. If you get hungry, there is a snack bar in the main cabin that offers a decent variety of snacks for reasonable prices. You can also purchase alcoholic beverages while on the cruise. We got a few snacks and they hit the spot.

As we began to depart a female announcer went over safety precautions, rules, etc. over a loud speaker that could be heard everywhere on the boat. As we cruised out into the ocean she would point out notable sights and give interesting information. After about one hour cruising fast through the ocean, we came to a stop and the announcer explained that we were in an area frequented by whales. She told us what to look for and she would quickly point out any sign of a whale and where to look. We started seeing whales right away. The announcer told us what kind of whale we were seeing and facts about that species. Seeing these huge creatures up close is hard to describe. At first you see them blowing water in the distance and diving. Then suddenly they will appear just yards from the boat! The whales seem almost playful. Two humpback whales came up right next to the boat and one rolled over and had it's belly to the sky for a few seconds. Later in the cruise one whale again came right up next to the boat and peeked his head up out of the water and spun as if observing us. It was breathtaking! We saw some whales diving near and far all around us. We also saw some 'flukes', which is when the whale starts off on a deep dive and it's tail comes up out of the water. We saw so many whales and it was absolutely amazing. **See my blog for my amazing videos!**

After a few hours out at sea, we started back to Barnstable Harbor. Another hour later and we were pulling into the dock. The staff was very friendly. During our cruise there was a young lady filming the whole trip. At the end of the cruise she offers a DVD for sale of the days whale sightings for around $20.00. Back on dry land there is a gift shop that sells the usual t-shirts, sweatshirts, stuffed animals, post cards, etc. Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises was wonderful and we had and excellent time. This is one of my favorite nature experiences and I would highly recommend it!
A whale takes a dive
A whale takes a look around
A whale rolls over in the water
A 'fluke' or tail of a whale as it…
Connie says:
I'm so jealous! I love humpback whales, but I've never been so lucky to see them that close - and I only got to see its fluke. Congrats on the feature!
Lord_Mike says:
Way to go, lady...very interesting, and congrats on your feature!
Stigen says:
Congrats ! sounds like a fun fun trip ! amazing that the whales would show themselves even with a big ship with loudspeakers in the area!

Check Barnstable Hotel Deals