Huset Restaurant

Huset Restaurant - Salmon

Huset Restaurant Longyearbyen Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Fine dining on the edge of the world Jan 11, 2017
We had dinner at Huset on New Year’s Eve 2016! We arrived there at about 7 pm and I started up by tagging along a group that got a tour of the wine cellar. Keep in mind that this restaurant is located in Longyearbyen on Svalbard which is on the edge of the habitable world. There were several rooms of wine but we did not get to choose from the a la carte menu of wine. The menu was a 5 course set menu with wine and this was specified on a menu at the table. The restaurant was full and the table setting was simple but delicate. We started out with an amuse-bouche made with cured Norwegian meat and flat brad – simple and delicious. We also got tiny but fresh breads that were lovely. The first dish was not much of a surprise maybe – fresh salmon is very often on the menu. But it was a good dish even if I’m not a big fan of sashmi. The second dish was a bit more of a surprise as they had combined scallops (the Norwegian scallops are lovely) served with fried chicken skin – again a good dish. The next menu item was 8 grain porridge and the waiter explained that it was not really porridge but more of a fancy name for risotto. I was not totally convinced by this risotto but the veal brisket was lovely. After a liquid granite we got the main which was duck. The duck was good but I’m not really crazy about it. I thought it was interesting to find one of the shotgun pellets inside the duck! We rounded of the meal with an apple and caramel dessert that was lovely.

Conclusion: I’m amazed that it is possible to have a fine dining restaurant like Huset in Longyearbyen. The menu was maybe not the most innovative and exciting menu that I have seen but it was a good and solid menu. The service was great, the wine was good and the pace of dishes was excellent. All in all – if you have something to celebrate while you are in Longyearbyen I can highly recommend Huset!
amuse-bouche