Hundertwasser House

34-38 Kegelgasse, Vienna, Austria

Hundertwasser House Vienna Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Vienna's answer to Barcelona's Gaudi Apr 17, 2015
This is Vienna’s answer to Barcelona’s Gaudi. The Hudertwasser Haus is actually a residential apartment building with real residents. However, due to its colourful and interesting design, this has become one of the tourist’s attraction in Vienna. Accessible by Tram No. 1, you will stop just few steps from this colourful building. Whilst you are not allowed to enter the building, it was enough to marvel and take pictures from the outside.

When I first saw it, I was not impressed as the colourful paint on the building has seriously worn off and it was no longer as vibrant as in the pictures you will see on tourist sites. At first glance, I was not impressed. Yes it has interesting design but it aint pretty since it looks run down. Therefore, the pictures that I am posting here are admittedly edited to bring out the colour of the building. Opposite the building is the Hundertwasser Village which provides souvenir shopping and a café for tourists. This place was better pre-reserved. The toilet proved to be interesting for which you must pay Euro1 to enter. Pretty clever since a lot of tourist go in for the sake of the pictures!

Pics to be uploaded
Hundertwasserhaus
Inside Hundertwasser Village
Inside Hundertwasser Village
Ils1976 says:
I know, but sometimes I always seem to have an excuse to go somewhere else ... I really have to consider this! :)
Posted on: Apr 20, 2015
FoxyFauz says:
You should! Belgium to Austria is not too far away
;-)
Posted on: Apr 20, 2015
Ils1976 says:
Seeing this, now I really need to go one day! :)
Posted on: Apr 19, 2015
sarahelaine sarahela…
Hundertwasser House Jun 11, 2009
Again, you can't see the inside because real people live in the flats, but you can se the outside.

The Hundertwasser house is a block of appartments in Vienna not far from the Prater. The flats are hard to describe, but I've attached some photos. They are a bit like Gaudi architecture in Barcelona, but with a dose of Dr Seuss.

Opposite the flats there are some information centres and a tacky little gift shop arcade with a bonkers - but unusually for Vienna, very smelly - public toilet.
Mad but cool
The house
Mad, but atypicaly smelly, toilet …
sarahelaine says:
It's worth seeing!
Posted on: Nov 03, 2011
spocklogic says:
I didn't have a chance to see this in Vienna. It was bitterly cold when I was there and I explored what I could in the time available. I love Hundertwasser's art and will definitely see this someday when I visit Vienna again (in warm weather next time)!
Posted on: Oct 31, 2011
Dia_De_Verano Dia_De_V…
Crazy houses in Vienna Aug 22, 2009
The Hundertwasser house is an apartment block built in a crazy style. It gave me a theme park idea, especially because of the many Asian tourists who were there :)

It's good to go to if you're nearby, and you should be done within 30 minutes. There's (of course) a tourist shop in the area, filled to the last inch of size, but I got my little souvenir there :)

It isn't big, it isn't a must see (unless you're an architect freak, but in that case you need lots and lots of days in Vienna), but a good thing to see when you've got some spare time.
Also imagine hundred Asian tourist…

Check Vienna Hotel Deals