Hudson Hotel

Check New York Hotel Deals

Hudson Hotel New York Reviews

Travelmania123 Travelma…
A fresh funky urban design May 05, 2011
I have stayed in this hotel a couple of years ago but I still remember it. This hotel is in great location can walk to Macys from here. Modern hotel with a great bar, reception & lounge. Room was contemporary as a result bit small but had all the facilites. The Bar within the hotel is a popular place to be in the evenings. I had a good view of the city from my room. Booked from tigerhotels.co.uk. Everything about the hotel was great. Except the restaurnat was a bit pricey so we used to go round the corner to the cafe for breakfast in the mornings. I would recommend this hotel to all going to New York for first time.
witchey witchey
Upscale eclectic designer hotel choice Sep 04, 2010
Well, Giannina said: "You must write a review about this place!". She was right; the Hudson Hotel should come with a set of instructions for a first time patron.

This is a well situated hotel on 356 West 58th Street, only a short walk away from Columbus Circle and the Subway.

I didn't specifically choose to stay in this hotel, but have used one of the countless internet agencies for a last minute deal where you pick the location and level of accommodation, then you find out afterwards where you are meant to stay. As I was given the information on the phone (I booked in under 24 hours prior to my stay), rather than via email, I was reassured the booking was fully in place.

Arrival at the Hudson Hotel is a little bit rock'n'roll. There is no name or sign on the outside to indicate this, actually, is the Hudson. Hotel staff dressed in black will assisst you if you have any luggage (which is whisked away until you ask for it to be delivered to your room) and point you in the right direction, which leads up a brightly lit escalator straight to reception. And what an unusual reception hall it is! After bathing in bright yellow neon light in the glass tunnel, you step onto wood clad flooring of an extravagantly large space for a centrally located city hotel, with a leafy cover above head, ivy creeping over walls, reception desk and furniture mirroring the natural elements, all completed with a large crystal chandellier.

I loved the music in the background and having had a hectic morning, it was a great de-stressing zone; I salute Philippe Starck on his marvelous design and play on proportions to transfer a weary traveller from the hustle and bustle of the busy Big Apple streets into a land or dreams.

Unfortunately, this bliss did not last long. They lost my booking and instead of suggesting suitable assisstance, I was sent to the business suite to use the internet, which had to be paid for additionally, so I could reach the agency I had dealt with.

All this had wasted a lot of extra time. There was no appology from the staff there for the inconvenience at first.

Anyway, the unusual hotel experience continued on the way to the room too; the elevator has an unusual carved texture on the inside walls; the corridors are somewhat daunting in contrast to the remainder of the hotel...almost prison like.

The room was small, but well aranged, with some very unusual design touches. Through intelligent design, they had maximised the use of space for excellent functionality all round.

Must love the shower; outstanding! And the bath products are of good quality too. The bed was wonderfully comfortable (real down duvet, Egyptian cotton linens) and the lighting in the room was well arranged. Must say, the air conditioning was difficult to set to an ideal temperature, so the room felt like a fridge freezer at times, but with 40C and humid outside, that wasn't such a bad thing. At least the dreamy bedside lamp light paintings by Francesco Clemente were so cool, you'd forget you're freezing!

Now, I did get this hotel at only $160 per night plus taxes in the middle of high season, though the additional costs really crept up. The internet is quite a rip off, but if you have no other choice, then you have to cave in to the excessive $10 per day.

I had the pleasure of enjoying drinks with friends at the the Hotel's courtyard, as well as the Sky Terrace. The Private Park courtyard has a bohemian, relaxed atmosphere, although somewhat noisy for a nice chat. The Sky Terrace will provide the calm, relaxed atmosphere without the noise and service by a very lightly dressed young lady (bikini and a light, long, unbuttoned white shirt dress) but don't bother going up there unless you have arrived well in time before closing, or you are likely to be given strict marching orders by the staff before you have finished your drinks. Considering the rather feisty prices on the drinks (count average $20 each), that is very cheeky, bordering on rude.

The famous Hudson Bar was closed for a party, so it wasn't possible to enjoy the surroundings of a very decadently designed space where French traditional style of the 15th century meets the modernist 21st century.

I just had no time to check out the Hudson Hall, apparently well known for it's organic and in-season ingredients prepared dishes.

What turned out to be a lovely surprise is the beautiful English style library, complete with a fireplace and an antique billiards table.

Also, while exploring nearby, I found a small quiet space adjacent to the foyer walkway with just a simple writing desk and chair. Very unusual, but cute.

Prior to departure, I had made use of their concierge service, which I must say is outstanding and, for the first time in my long history of hotel stays, run by a lady! She was everything a concierge is meant to be: helpful, interested, paying attention, but unobtrussive, incredibly efficient and above all, going the extra mile to keep even a leaving guest happy. So, if you end up at this hotel and something is just not happening, to the right facing reception is the concierge.

To avoid the ambitious food and drink prices, have breakfast or a snack at the deli on the corner. Great choice of freshly made food. I even learned what scallions are, to the amusement of the staff (don't ask lol)!

I have added a bunch of photos to give you a better idea what the Hudson is really like.
The eclectic Hudson Bar
A rather unusual, but very success…
The walkway leading to the library…
witchey says:
Well, guys, what can I say, thank you! I had no idea I got featured! A first for me! :o)
MeiYen says:
Congrats on your feature! :)
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured today! Way to go!
annieke_g annieke_g
Perfectly located for a city trip Jun 09, 2010
I stayed five nights in the Hudson Hotel, wanting to see more of New York and for that, the hotel was more than perfect!

It is close to Central Park, the subway station at Columbus Sqaure is only yards away which will enable you to travel the longer distances in New York very quickly and easily.

The hotelrooms are pretty small (I had a standard double room for myself), but when in New York all you need your room for is to sleep and take a shower (or two...when it is hot!). For this, the room is more than equipped.

I didn't eat at the hotel, the prices were pretty high and the hotel is located in a part of town with a high density of restaurants that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

But I can recommend a drink at the Sky Terrace at the 15th floor. Spectacular views and when it is hot and dense on the streets, the terrace is just perfect with a nice breeze and several seats in the shadow.

The hotel doesn't come cheap, but what do you expect in New York and at such a location? Besides, when you book more than 30 days in advance, you will be able to get a discount of up to 25% of the price.

One small negative detail: you have to pay for your WiFi in your room or other parts of the hotel. It is not much, $10 a day, but in this day and age I was unpleasantly surprised.

During my trip of three weeks and eight hotels, this was the only hotel that charged me for their WiFi.
ErikaMont ErikaMont
Jul 25, 2010
A very well located hotel on 58th near Central Park. The room itself was very small but everything about the hotel was amazing. They have their amazing bars and restaurants, a hang out room where you can be loud and stuff to meet people, it was a great hotel. They have a rooftop patio which has extremely comfortable seating, lots of space, great decor and has great views.
aehaman aehaman
Great Hotel and Bar Jan 08, 2009
Its expensive but its very modern and stylish. Ive had alot of great nights in the bar! I found this hotel one night when I couldnt find a dance floor with good music anywhere and someone suggested it. Always a good crowd, mixed with all kinds of interesting people from all over and perfect house music that you would expect from NYC! Not to mention the HOT staff! Its hard to find because there is no sign on the building but look for the neon green stripe and esculator.
marksreynolds marksrey…
Chic, Modern, Dark, Cozy and Conveniently Located May 23, 2008
During our three day, two night stay in New York City, Lena and I stayed at the Hudson Hotel at 356 West 58th Street. The hotel does not look like much from the outside, but inside it is amazing. The escalator just as you walk through the front door takes you up from street level to a large reception area. There the room is decorated with dark brick walls, dark wood flooring and a large chandelier hanging over the center of the long dark wooden reception counter where the staff is very friendly and egger to help with any thing you need. High above your head is an ivy covered trellis and the room is filled with accent lighting in just the right places. The hotel décor inside is on the dark side, so if you’re looking for a well lit, bright sunny place, this is not the hotel for you.

We had a room on the sixth floor with a window that over looked the center court of the hotel, or as they called it, “The Private Park”. The room was very clean, and just the right size for us. To most people, the room probably is very small, but we are only there to crash at the end of the day, not live there, so it was good for us. It consisted of the main room with a standard queen size bed, a small desk table and chair with a lamp at the foot of the bed, two small night stands at each side of the bed, a small cabinet with a radio and other stuff you have to pay for if you use them, and a wall mounted flat panel TV. The bath room was also just big enough with a small sink, toilet and a good sized shower, no tub which was fine for us.

I had three complaints about our room, the first was it smelled like smoke. We are not smokers, so it was a bit stinky, but a nice scented candle and having the window open all night and every day took care of that. The second was, the window which we had to leave open the first night, was over looking the center court yard, which is one of the three bars of the hotel called “The Private Park”. The noise from the large crowd below our window and the music, made it difficult to get a good night sleep the first night there. The second night, I closed the window and turned the air conditioner down to about 55 degrees. Remember, my wife is Swedish and I’m from Wisconsin, so we like the air temp cold with the use of blankets and our natural body heat to stay warm at night :]~ The second night sleep was much better with the well insulated window closed. The only other issue we had was what we run into at all hotels; down pillows. My wife is allergic and I just can not sleep on something that soft. The hotel staff did bring us some regular pillows right away and all was well.

We did not eat at the restaurant here at the hotel, so I can not comment on the service or quality of the food. We did look over the menu, and decided this town has lots of places to eat, so let’s go else where.

The hotel has three bars, two on the main floor, and one on the 15th floor. We spent some time on the 15th floor outdoor terrace which is a large landscaped terrace with a view of the city and Hudson River. We found it very nice and quite. The weather was perfect, so sitting outside was very nice. The only issue we had was they stopped serving food at 5:00 pm, but our very attractive server did suggest two restaurants near by.

We also used the large outdoor bar area they called the Private Park a few times just to sit and chill out after walking all day. This “park” is surrounded by the building itself, and sits below our room window, along with many other room windows. The “park” is half covered by a 45 foot high ivy covered wooden & glass roof. The brick walls are also covered in ivy. The “park” is decorated like someone’s outdoor patio with many comfortable chairs, couches, benches and small tables.

The third bar is very modern and artsy looking, with lots of glass and a hand painted ceiling. We went in here once for a quick drink and that was it. We didn’t take part in any of the night life here just because we wore ourselves out walking the town all day.

This hotel also has a very nice library which reminds me of an old English club or drawing room. There is a pool table, a few chess and checker boards set up, a very large fire place, and of course many books to read if you so desire. This is a very cozy place to sit, hang out, and have a drink.

The prices at all the bars in the hotel were very, very expensive to us, but it’s New York, right?

The entire staff was very friendly and the concierge was very knowledgeable and a great help. If you get in early before check in, as we did, you can check your luggage at the hotel and they will hold it for you while you wait for your room and check out the city. The same is true at check out time. Our train didn’t leave until 9:00 pm, but we had to check out at noon. There was no problem for them to hold our luggage until we were ready to leave for the train station. We even needed to change clothes at one point, so we got the one bag we needed, changed, when gave them the bag back and continued with our day.

The only reason I gave the value rating a Good and not an Excellent is because of the prices of the drinks and food. The bed rating was also only a Good because of the down pillows, but that is at most hotels. The mattress was firm and a good size, but it was close to the floor, but I spent many years on a mattress and box spring just on the floor, no frame, so it was like old times.

The hotel itself is conveniently located to the A,C & B,D subway station at the Time Warner Building at Columbus Circle, Central Park, and easy walking distance to Times Square and the Broadway Theaters. We enjoyed our stay here, and unless we find someplace less expensive, but still conveniently located, we will stay here again.
The outside of the Hudson Hotel
The lobby and front desk inside th…
Our room at the Hudson Hotel. This…
"The Private Park" bar at the Huds…
tipsfortravellers tipsfort…
Feb 04, 2007
would never spend my own money to stay at the Hudson Hotel, and was pleased that on this trip I did not find out the hard way like so many of the people I heard complaining about the rooms at the reception desk.

The hotel has a great location on 58th Street and was designed by the famous designer Philippe Stark.

From the moment that you arrive you know that you are going to a hotel like no other, as there is no name to identify the place. You then travel up some very long and striking yellow light escalators and emerge into a gloomy lobby. Music is pumping away and you really cannot see very much as it is very dark.

You can make out a huge long check-in desk with a massive trendy chandelier hanging above it.

As you check in you will usually hear people complaining about the size of their rooms and the staff explaining that the rooms are that size and it is not just that they have been allocated a tiny room. I did think that people were probably being a bit fussy and over dramatic, until I went to my own room. Getting to the room was another surprise as the hallways are incredibly dark as well.

The rooms are very small, around 125 square feet. If they were very cheap then this would be less of an issue. But they are not. On the positive side they are a masterpiece of clever design by squeezing so much in to such a small space.

But no matter what your view on design is, the fact is the rooms feel cramped and unpleasant to stay in

The dark wood panels making it feel oppressive.

There is around 1.5 feet on either side of the low bed. The bathroom is hard to move around in as you squeeze past the toilet to get into the shower that has a glass panel into the bedroom. There is a small TV and a CD player in the room – but no real space to put luggage and much clothes. If there were 2 of you in the rooms it would be really cramped.

The restaurant in the hotel is also dark, but here the design is very stunning with the kitchen in the centre and long tables. The food is excellent. The buffet breakfast ($27) was excellent as well.

The main bar on the lobby level has glass floors with light underneath. They are very fussy about keeping the look and would not let us put our coats over the back of the chairs. There is also a “library” that is also great design and more comfortable.

The fitness room is pretty good with a fair selection of cardio machines and weight machines The meeting rooms are very ordinary considering the rest of the hotel.

As you can imagine, I will avoid staying here. I had to stay in the hotel for 4 nights and that was too long!

Hudson Hotel Amenities

• Disabled Accessible Rooms
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower