Húsavík Whale Museum

Husavik, Iceland

Húsavík Whale Museum Husavik Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Worth every penny, informative and larger than life Sep 06, 2012
For a price of roughly 10 US$, one can get to see exhibits of the various sea animals. Some skeletons (some original, some reconstructed) are on display – both as show items and hanging from the ceiling and really put things into perspective. There’s also a section on the various fishing instruments used through the years, and lots of portraits, caricatures and old pictures including some funny ones as well.

But to me, the highlight was a temporary exhibition about a sperm whale hunting exhibition in Alaska. The pictures were spine tingling. The empty cold snow, and fresh blood fallen over it, nearly 2 dozen people needed to pull the whale from the water, and pictures of how the body was broken up into pieces and meat was distributed to the village. It was one of the coldest and cruellest, and yet most amazing exhibitions I’ve seen in my life.

What was really heartening about this museum was just seeing the skeletons and getting a perspective of how big they are compared to... well us, human beings!

Overall this museum is value for money. You’d be hard pressed to spend more than hour here – but overall very good.
westwind57 says:
Interesting :)
Posted on: Sep 26, 2012
ccjbeachbum says:
sounds interesting and iceland is on the list
Posted on: Sep 25, 2012
Dr_Seuss says:
I liked it. Think from the outside I wasn't expecting much, and then found it fascinating inside.
Posted on: Sep 25, 2012
wagslikeadog wagslike…
Excellent Museum May 18, 2012
This is an excellent museum about whales, the history of whaling and the environmental impacts that man has had on these majestic animals around Iceland.

The 1,200ISK entrance fee was well worth it for all of the well-displayed exhibits, reconstructed whale skeletons on display, history, maps and videos playing. The building itself is a restored slaughterhouse (for sheep) and looks very shiny and new.

I really enjoyed all of the displays and learned a lot about about the topic. At many exhibits, I thought to myself, "Wow...I didn't know that", and also found myself being a little revolted by the whaling videos they were showing (Exploding tipped harpoons??? Who knew?), but interested just the same. There was a kids area (called "Yellow Submarine" which looked fun) and a gift shop in the entrance area.

I spent about 90 minutes here and read the info at most of the exhibits. I am very glad that I checked this well-done museum out and would highly recommend it to others!
Husavik Whale Museum
Husavik Whale Museum
Look at that funny whale...Playing…
You got that right
Dr_Seuss says:
Didn't have any photos( pre TB days :D) but thought I would throw in a quick review just to back up yours :) which is much better ;) and more recent
wagslikeadog says:
I totally agree.
Dr_Seuss says:
Doesn't look much from the outside, but I thought it was a brilliant place to visit.
Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Great Museum Jul 04, 2008
After coning back of the boat we decided to visit the Husavik Whale Museum. Doesn't look much from the outside, but this masks a fascinating collection inside.

Really cheap to get in :O and it has great features on the history of whaling. Think the big whale skeletons are the best bit though :)

A lot of stuff to read up on, and a few videos. Split into various sections with bits on the nature around Iceland, the ecolgy and enviromental issues.

Highly informative, and definately worth a visit when you are in Husavik.

Check Husavik Hotel Deals